Big mess in new coop. Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lovemy6hens, Jan 26, 2015.

1. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    The new coop was safe enough for the girls to sleep in last night. We have 11 hens and the new coop is 8x14. Temporary roosts they've been using during the transition included. The coop is inside part of our 16x24 workshop and that's where they've been staying during the transition. This morning it's a disgusting mess! Most didn't sleep on the roosts and clearly stayed up way too late having a poop party in their much larger space. I know there will be an adjustment time. The concrete floor is mostly covered with the same interlocking childrens play mats covered with pine shavings that they've been staying on during the transition. They've been in the temporary coop since Thanksgiving.
    What do we cover the floor with temporarily to minimize the mess? Hay?

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Heavy plastic. Put some shavings on top than just roll it up when you're done.

3. lovemy6hens

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Thank you very much! We will definitely put that down tonight.

4. lovemy6hens

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Another question: We plan on replacing the interlocking play mats with stall mats. Would adding hay to the pine shavings just make a bigger mess or would it help cover the larger area? I clean it every day.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  5. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    My hens love hay - I hate it. Not absorbent, makes a mess. I do use it in my nest boxes because the ladies really do love it.

I am extremely fond of using chopped forage for my coop bedding (having gone through hay, shavings, pellets, stall-dry, and sand). Clean, not dusty, smells nice, lasts long, hens LOVE to scratch in it.

For your temporary situation, the plastic is a great idea. When I have to use temporary bedding, I cut up a feed bag, so I have smaller bits to roll up, and also, I feel handy reusing something I already have.

[​IMG]

6. lovemy6hens

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Thank you so much! I didn't know about chopped forage and will definitely try that. Especially helpful to know you're tried everything else. Your girls look very happy!

7. FoxHead

FoxHead Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    Greenville, MI
    x2

8. lovemy6hens

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    The plastic sheeting worked well. Thank you for the suggestion! I put the play mats around the edges, but didn't think about it sliding around, so will be duct taping it to the floor today.

9. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    1002 uses for duct tape.

10. lovemy6hens

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    No kidding! I keep some in my chicken first aid kit, just in case (of what, I don't know but will certainly be glad to have it there if needed).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by