Big Moe the Rooster!

K-12 Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Michigan
After multiple Cooper's Hawk attacks on the hens and pullets, my family finally conceded to my idea of a rooster as a protector and watchful eye for the flock (at long last!). After looking through Craigslist posts, I got this big guy on January 1st, an excellent way to start the new year! He's about 5 months old and I believe is something like an Easter Egger. As of right now, Big Moe is being kept in an enclosed run that I rarely use for the pullets, so everyone can get a good look at him (and so I can monitor his health; the number of chickens he originally lived with before I got him was only about five hens, and I have checked him over a few times now for anything abnormal; his living conditions looked very good).

Big Moe has crowed (a lovely-sounding crow if I do say so myself) now and then, but will probably crow more when he is allowed to free-range with the hens and pullets. He has a good respect of me and has not once so far shown the intention to attack. When Big Moe sees the pullets walk by, he gets excited and begins to cluck and occasionally make a growling/purring sound, so I think he will be a good gentleman for the ladies. He also likes to "show off" feathers, pieces of snow and straw to the hens and pullets

Last edited:
Moe is a looker! And the news about him tid-bitting (that show of goodies and calling hens to 'em) is really good. He'll be great eye candy for your yard, as well as a good lookout for the flock.

Congrats!

What a find! He does look clean and healthy and ready to assume his rooster duties.

Back
Top Bottom