Big Move

LittleWhiteDove

Songster
Oct 22, 2016
Hedley British Columbia
Hello Everyone.
I am planning to move from British Columbia all the way across Canada to Ontario come spring. I will be moving with all my stuff, three dogs, 5 cats and my two flocks of chickens. Each flock consists of about 5-6 birds Silkie size and smaller . My family and I are planing to drive across Canada so it will be about a week long drive. I was wondering several things and hope I could get some help. My questions are:

What should I transport my birds in?
How often do i need to stop to give the birds water?
What should my safety concerns be?
Anything else I should know?

Darkened carriers will keep them calm. They still need excellent ventilation.
A friend moved a bunch of birds from Washington to IL and back again. He had a big 2 compartment horse trailer and drove slowly when turning.
As long as it isn't hot, they can probably get by with water morning and night.
If you have them in cages and have cage cups for food and water, they should be fine.
If they are in carriers, you may need to change bedding from time to time.

Let us know how it goes.

Good advice above but maybe you could go with watering nipples if they know how to use them so that they could have water available at all times without it spilling? You could probably train them now even, it doesn't take very long and actually saves you work

First off find out if it is legal to transport from Province to Province and if you will need any special permits.......I hauled to Sask. in the summer....I was told that was a big no,no.....Not sure though...

Hauling in crates will work but a week is a long haul.....Stressed out Birds.....

Cheers!

First off find out if it is legal to transport from Province to Province and if you will need any special permits.......I hauled to Sask. in the summer....I was told that was a big no,no.....Not sure though...

Hauling in crates will work but a week is a long haul.....Stressed out Birds.....

Cheers!

good point
In the states, we can transport between states either if NPIP or with a recent blood test.

Back
Top Bottom