big new pen for chicks, + huge roo comb

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by patandchickens, May 18, 2008.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I am still really sad about the chick that died this morning from getting spooked and flying headfirst into the wall [​IMG]

But anyhow here are some pics of the big new pen they're in. The building is a 16x40 drywalled/insulated former dog kennel. It was here when we moved in, so, you know. May as well use it [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I built a shavings-insulated plywood brooder hover after the plans at http://www.plamondon.com/brooder.shtml - it currently has 2 100w bulbs in, one red one white. The chicks snooze under and around it, but come out to eat, drink, explore, play, fight, etc. Here's a shot peeking underneath into it (the chicks are Highly Suspicious of me doing this - they would not normally be standing there like that):

[​IMG]

And here is one of the campines (the most-developed, but there's another not too far behind him) with an ENORMOUS comb and the beginnings of wattles -- at the age of 18 days since hatching :eek:

[​IMG]

Since it's getting a little pecked, I've colored all over the comb with a blue washable marker in hopes of 'waving a red flag' less in front of the other chicks' beaks. We'll see how it works. In fact, it was when I was catching him to do this that the other chick got spooked, took wing and died. Sigh.

Pat

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  2. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    What a great set-up you have there! Taj Mahal for da chickies! [​IMG]

Looks like that big-combed boy will grow up to be one mighty impressive roo...

3. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    So sorry to hear about your little one that died it is always so sad. Good luck with the remaining babies they sure are lucky to have that nice house to live in, the little roo is so noble looking he will be a charmer.[​IMG][​IMG]:weee:ya

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Very nice setup for those babies. Beautiful babies. Congrats! And don't you worry about that little one...it was an accident. [​IMG]

5. Adri

Adri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Looks like a great set up to me. That is an impressive comb. Your chicks were hatched the same day as mine even! None of mine has a comb anywhere near that!

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

That's very nice, they look very happy [​IMG]

7. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    What a great set up, but I must ask...did you put up the chicken wire, or did the previous owners think that would keep the dogs secure in the kennel?
    BTW that is one healthy comb on that baby roo, can't wait to see pictures of him when he's older. If the comb keeps growing at that rate it'll be bigger than his body [​IMG]

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Oh no, the 2x4s and chickenwire was my project for the last few days [​IMG]

The kennel has 10 pretty good dog runs all down the other side (to the left, out of the picture). Half-inch plastic-board dividers and back walls, with chainlink fronts (and outdoor runs). The previous owner clearly thought they might put dogs on the right-hand side too someday, because although they just drywalled along there inside, on the outside they roughed-in all the dog door openings and with chipboard screwed over the openings (creating fine winter homes for the local weasel population, sigh).

I will take advantage of the already trimmed-out openings for a pophole, when I get around to building a new run for that pen [​IMG]

BTW that is one healthy comb on that baby roo, can't wait to see pictures of him when he's older. If the comb keeps growing at that rate it'll be bigger than his body [​IMG]

LOL, no kidding, he'll just tip forward and lie there on his face. I doubt that will impress the ladies all that much [​IMG]

BTW, doodling blue marker all over the comb does seem to have stopped the others pecking at it. So that's good.

Pat​

9. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Once those chicks move out, that would be a perfect pen for quails! LOL

10. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Awwww....your little guy is gonna be gorgeous. My sweet little Campine rooster was like that...his comb was HUGE at that age. Not sure if yours is very flighty? Mine was, but was the most amazing little guy with the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by