1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Big old English Game hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Avalon1984, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Hello fellow chicken lovers! This is Goldilocks and she has lots of attitude. When I got her the guy said she is an Old English Game bird but it seems as if everybody that knows the breed says they are bantams, not standard size. Do you know what breed that would be then? Thank you!

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They are most commonly found in bantam form but do come in standard size, just on very rare occasions.

I don't think she's an Old English unless you're not from the USA. Her skin is dark, her legs don't seem right (either color or length is wrong)

3. leah_c

leah_c Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    She looks similar to mine but my Pebbles is a bantam OEG

[​IMG]

This was taken just last week.
    [​IMG]

4. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Yes Leah, she does look like mine! Matter of fact I am not from the US but Germany, but now I am in the US and this is where I got her from [​IMG] Can anybody give me a guess as to what she could be?

5. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Does it help to say that she is the broodiest and most temperamentful chicken I have ever seen? She gets every ornery at times.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Not really - ALL gamefowl are broody and protective moms. [​IMG] She's a game hen, that's what's known for sure.

7. alabamachick

alabamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Alabama
    Could she maybe be a welsummerxOEGB? That would account for the look and size right? What do her eggs look like?

8. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Well that's a good start, thank you! Her eggs are HUGE, very very round and white. [​IMG]

9. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
  10. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    It does look a lot like her. Is there a height requirement of when a bird is a bantam or standard size? Maybe she is just a mega bantam? Goldilocks is bigger than my Delaware hen or my RIR.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by