Big ole' male possum..

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Ducklove334, May 11, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    Naomi just lost one of her hatch chicks, shes started up this BAD habit of sleeping up UNDER the coop, because the chicks havn't figured out the ramp to the pop door..

well, about 30 minutes ago, my mother in law calls me from the other room saying she hears a chicken outside raising cane, we go out and theres Naomi with her adopted baby, her other hatch baby is spending the night in the chick room (momma and both babies are in there now) because one of the turkeys decided to be an arse after picking a fight with Zag, the male geunia(I cannot spell that for the life of me!), and LOSING!, and decided to pick a fight with the tiny chick, I thought the turkey had broken it's leg, I out it in the chick room for the night,intend on putting it back with momma the next morning..

ANYWAYS! we collect up momma and baby, and I look under the coop, what I see is a male possum, WAY bigger than our cats, no wonder they didn't tangle with him!

our homosidal cat Karina is so agressive she even has chased FOXES off. I have no idea where the possum went, I have a cat who either IS getting ready to have kittens, or has had them because she's either getting ready to lactate or has been..

BUT now we need to get rid of it, we're thinking live trap, but how far would we have to take it for it not to come back, being a male it's gotta have a territory.

or should we just kill it?

**edited for language**

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
  2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I think that you should relocate him. As far as how far away, I'm sure ,someone else would know that. I don't know about possums having a territory, maybe they do? I do think the live trap idea would be best, thats my opinion.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Many people dispatch the opossums they trap. They're not endangered, and their numbers often increase in developed areas, since their predators have been chased off and their food sources increase with human proximity (pet food dishes, garbage cans, etc)

And many more people consider it very inconsiderate to have a pest/predator animal released near their homes. What looks like deep wilderness to you may be the edge of someone else's property, someone else with chickens.

4. wanda047

wanda047 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    I'd shoot it and not think twice.

5. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

The old 2 X 4 to the head has worked for me. It dispatches them quite nicely. When I saw one climbing up my roost heading for a chicken snack I had no problem letting him have it with a 2 X 4.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  6. danielbrown

danielbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Spartanburg, sc
    Id kill it, Relocating it can make it somebody else's problem.

If you really want to relocate. you should take it at least 4 states away. [​IMG]

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:There are those who say that it must learn to avoid human habitation from it's mother. Apparently this one didnt, and that implies there are others like it. If we do not kill a few and so teach them to avoid humans, then we place them in jeopardy anyway. Sooner or later their lack of fear will get them killed somewhere else. That's the theory.

One thing is likely certain: you cannot teach it to stay away by moving it to someone elses backyard. The others are right - it has learned where the meal is and it will persist no matter where you take it. Heck, it may be so dependent on human habitation now that it might starve in the wild. I dunno.

It is best to dispatch it and trap any others that come around, doling out the same fate to them. It really is you or them out there in the chicken yard.

8. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Kill it and relocate it to the oven with some sweet potatoes. Google possum recipes for other possibilities.

Rufus

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  9. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Kill him and don't think twice.

10. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    see, like alot of us here, I live out in the middle of no where, though there are houses all along the street, any actual TOWN is about 30 minutes away, we live next to the woods, we get foxes,coyotes,coons,possums.

we're going to set up a live trap I think, and them go from there..I wouldn't be able to kill it, so someone else will have to.

I always used to think possums were dirty things that ate rotten moldy stuff out of trash cans...I used to have alot of problems with them in WV with my ducks, eating the duck food, but they never bothered the birds. but I suposed a baby chick is different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by