Big patch on comb & one closed eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ger92, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Ger92

Ger92 Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    Hi! just new to the forum!
    I've a black rock chicken and I noticed she is going around the run with one eye closed. She also has a black patches on both sides of her comb. Any one any idea what could be wrong with her?

We have given her this special ointment for her eye and the swelling is gone down a lot and her eye is open a lot more, mainly open when she's eating. She was very tired in herself but with the eye getting better she seems to be much more energetic. I give them poultry tonic in their water.

Any idea what would cause the comb to have black patches? And what would have been the cause to her eye being shut.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Is she low in the pecking order? A picture or two would be helpful, but you will have to have at least 10 posts to add pictures. Black marks on the comb may be peck marks, and a more tan to brown scab would be fowl pox. Can you see a dot around the eye that may have been a peck wound or insect sting that caused the swelling? Swollen eyes on one or both sides can also mean a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (MG) or coryza. Look for symptoms such as eye or nasal drainsge, sneezing, or rattles when breathing. If you can get the posts in, and take a picture we can help more. In the meantime here is a good thread on respiratory disease symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Also a thread showing peck wounds and one on fowl pox:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/831148/fowl-pox
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  3. Ger92

Ger92 Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    Welcome to BYC.  Is she low in the pecking order?  A picture or two would be helpful, but you will have to have at least 10 posts to add pictures.  Black marks on the comb may be peck marks, and a more tan to brown scab would be fowl pox.  Can you see a dot around the eye that may have been a peck wound or insect sting that caused the swelling?  Swollen eyes on one or both sides can also mean a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (MG) or coryza.  Look for symptoms such as eye or nasal drainsge, sneezing, or rattles when breathing.    If you can get the posts in, and take a picture we can help more.  In the meantime here is a good thread on respiratory disease symptoms:  http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Hi, thanks for your reply. No she's not down the pecking order. She's the boss hen if anything! I will build up my posts in the next few days to try and post a few pics her.

I have never seen her with peck marks or any scraps or anything. No dots around her eyes. We gave her a really good examination to see what the problem with the eye was. It appeared to be swollen last week but all the swelling has gone down and the eye is just closed over but fully open when eating. She has a very good appetite and is always first up for food. We thought she might of got a bad pecking when she was younger to explain the eye.

With regards to her comb, There's no spots on the tips of the comb just a black patch on either side. Also no scabs at all. She was the first to lay eggs and have got regular eggs off her since. I did notice yesterday her pooh was a bright mustard colour

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you cage her for 1 day or just at night to watch her droppings? Cecal poops every 9 or 10 poops, can be yellow brown, but bright yellow poops often can indicate an E. coli infection. That can be a secondary infection of respirator diseases infecting the air sacs. Hopefully it is not that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: