Big Pipping in SC

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LadyDixieChick, Jun 18, 2011.

1. LadyDixieChick

LadyDixieChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Rock Hill, SC
    [​IMG] I have 5 barred Rock to hatch overnight ( with at least 10 more pips and chirps going on in the incubator) I have moved 4 of the hatchlings to the brooder box already with a steady temp of 98' They seem content and happy. Already starting to establish a pecking order, I do believe. haha But one thing I have noticed, is they look like they are "panting"
    I didnt notice this with my last hatch 4 weeks ago. Are they thirsty already? I knew they could go about 3 days without food. Remind me of typical baby birds in a nest waiting with their beaks open for mama bird to drop food in....IS THIS OK??

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It is probably OK but that can be an indication they are too hot. I personally like a brooder where I only keep one section in the right temperature range and allow the rest to cool down as it will, often 20 to 30 degrees cooler. That way, they can find their own comfort zone. I'd go bananas trying to keep an entire brooder in the right temperature range.

If you can, I'd suggest lowering the temperature a little, to the range of 90 to 95 degrees. 98 could be a little too warm, especially if you did not calibrate the thermometer. If the thermometer was not calibrated, the true temperature could be a few degrees higher.

3. LadyDixieChick

LadyDixieChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Rock Hill, SC
    Thanks! I did adjust the heat lamp so they are not panting now. Maybe it was too warm. I didnt get to re-calibrate the thermometer this time.....Thanks!!

Now have 6 Barred Rock babies with more to come!! YAY:celebrate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by