Big pretty new roo what could he be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by warren86, Oct 21, 2016.

1. warren86

warren86 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2016
    Bought this Rooster today for my flock he the best looking one I've seen what is he exactly[​IMG]

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    His colour is Crele, breed-wise I'm not sure, he looks a bit small/slim for a orpington, not a legbar or leghorn because his ear is red... hmm. My best guess woudl be a bielefelder rooster :)

3. warren86

Oct 8, 2016
    From what I'm reading Crele color is rare ? Am I right about that ?

4. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    It is more rare in most breeds, like you don't see Crele Cochins or Crele Old English Game Bantams very often compared to the rainbow of colours they usually come in, but in some breeds like Cream-Crested Legbars and Bielefelder's its the primary (or maybe only? I'm not sure) colour they come in.

So if he is a bielefelder then it's not necessarily rare for HIM, but a gorgeous and more rare colour over all :)

Personally its a rarer colour since I dont see it at feedstores or for sale anywhere but I know a crele rooster down the road and two of my friends have a few, but nonetheless he is absolutely drop dead gorgeous :D

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    He is not crele. Crele is specifically barring over a red duckwing/black breasted red. Legbars are crele because they are a black breasted red with barring.

However crele suffers from hobbyists using it incorrectly over any barred bird showing any color other than black and white. So there will be a lot of people calling him crele because he is not black and white only and also a lot of pictures online will show incorrectly labeled creles. Legbars and crele old english bantams are the most common examples of true crele.

Minus the barring, your rooster is mostly RIR or production red colored.

It will be hard to make sure what he is, because he could be something like a barred rock RIR cross bred back to a pure RIR, that will throw birds exactly like him. If his daughters out of any white or brown egger hen lay only tan/brown eggs then this is probably the best guess for his mix, as both RIR and BR are extremely common breeds so chances of this is rather likely.

There is a small chance he may have been someone's project to make Rhodebars.

He could be a legbar crossed with RIR. This can throw birds looking like him. If some of his daughters out of say, RIR or barred rocks lay green or blue eggs then he probably is a legbar-RIR mix.

btw he is not pure for the barring, he is too dark to be pure barred plus his tail is all black.

True crele is rare-ish because black breasted red is very rare in dual purpose or heavy breeds. It's primarily found in bantams or lighter breeds like legbars, leghorns. So in a breed that has barred birds but no black breasted birds, you cannot make a crele version in that breed, unless someone makes a black breasted version first.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. warren86

Oct 8, 2016
    Here's some better pictures if it helps [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree with Kev on the color--not crele.

Most likely cross, based on availability of breeds, is some thing Red like a production Red bird, crossed with a barred Rock, then maybe bred back to the Red again.

He's beautiful. I love the red barred birds, I've always wondered why they're not accepted colors in more breeds. so pretty!

8. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yep pretty and agree on barred birds over red or other colors not being more popular..

btw warren if you want more like him, breed to a RIR or production red. Half of the chicks in both sexes will be red barred like him.

if you want to make a true breeding line, breed a red barred hen to a red barred roo like him and keep the much lighter sons as those are the ones pure for barring.

Breeding to a barred rock will throw black and black and white chicks that grow up mostly black/white barred with some red around the neck, back on the cockerels and some on breast for the pullets. This is the color combination that gets called crele so often- barring over a black chicken leaking color exactly like a black sex link hen.

1 person likes this.
  9. warren86

Oct 8, 2016
    Yea I have several RIR I'm gonna try and hatch some chicks from

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    beautiful roo no matter what cross - or what his color is called

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by