Big problem big question!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by minifarmgurl1, Sep 16, 2009.

1. minifarmgurl1

minifarmgurl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2009
    indiana
    Hello , Got a big problem. My hens, who are just old enough to lay, well i thought they all werent laying. I only get like 3 eggs a day in the nesting boxes, and thats how its been for a while. Ilet them roam my yard after i get my three eggs a day. now mind you theres always one or two hens that are already out(guess they know the way).
    Today i found "the nest" that they have been working on for awhile. OMG i couldnt believe it! Its under my deck and theres like more than 20 eggs, they are taking turns sitting on it too. The ol man said just throw them out because they probably already got cold..but i just cant get myself to do it! they are trying to be mothers and yet still i want to collect eggs..ikd.. im mixed up here...does anyone please have any advice here? even if its tough love advice ya know..ill take it and do it..promise
    thanks,
    jessi

2. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

It's pretty doubtful that your eggs have been kept warm enough constantly to have developed but there's only one way to be sure and that's to candle some of them. If you see babies inside the eggs then sure, leave 'em and see what you get! If not, best to throw them away before they explode under there and leave a stink that ajax won't wash off.

3. minifarmgurl1

Apr 24, 2009
    indiana
    lol yah eww .well i just went out there and decided to check and see which ones were very warm...since i didnt get my 3 eggs yet today..i found 2 that they just layed and the rest were all cold. so im doing the, i think, right thing and throwing them cold ones away, and at least i will know where to look everyday now..hahaha..ill tell ya i was soo excited that my head was spinning! i couldnt even think!

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Take all the eggs an put them in the sink with warm water. Any fresh eggs will sink an the old ones will float. Any that stand on end are getting old.

If you want to let them set then take the fresh ones an mark them an put them back. You can collect any new ones that get layed in that nest. If you dont want to let them set then put golf balls in the nest so they will keep laying there an not move there nest on you.

5. minifarmgurl1

Apr 24, 2009
    indiana
    WOW Thank You!!!

6. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

you can use incubator, they are taking turns? that's not too safe for the eggs for being taked turns ( i think). better candle and put the live inside bator or make a special place to let the hen sit.

and, oh, how can you didn't know that the hen sitting? [​IMG] as i know all sitting hen will be more aggressive and raising their feathers and become less cooperative with everyone.

7. Highland Moongazer

Highland Moongazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Marshall, NC
    Not to seem patronizing, but I didn't see a mention of a roo....

Do you have one?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by