big problem!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ilovemychook24, Oct 30, 2011.

1. ilovemychook24

ilovemychook24 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    i walked into the pen, alright everythings fine
    i feed the roo and his ladies, next pen
    i feed the chicks, last pen
    i see one of my rhode island pullets, i look at her, lethargic..strange
    i go over and pick her up
    SHE HAS ONLY ONE LEG!!!!! DDD:
    i'm so worried and upset and sad
    i want to cry and just kick the bajezus out of whatever has done this.
    i'm so sure it was the next door dog. but thats not the issue
    the issue is will she live?
    theres a massive hole in her body the leg was ripped out fully, theres not a bone sticking out, its so grusome
    i want help, how do i save this girl, i am very attached to my rhode island pullets they have alot of sentimental value.
    i'll post a photo in a minute or so

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

u could see about giving pain killers. idk what kind u can give chickens. give her a shot of penicilin, and clean the would and put antibiotic ointment in it and wrap it up. hope she will live

3. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I have no idea about things like this but sorry about that and good luck!! Hope shes survives!!

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I can't imagine the pain and shock she is in. I wouldn't hesitate to end her suffering. When I love an animal, I love them enough to do the best thing I can for them including sometimes the hardest thing to do. I personally could not end her life, but I would have my better half help. I'm so very sorry for you and your girl. Make her comfortable indoors for tonight and think about which decision is right for you and your baby.[​IMG]

5. ilovemychook24

May 18, 2011
    alright, thanks [​IMG]
    i dont have any penicilin but i have some antibiotic creams, she has some maggots that have already taken to the hole so i'll have to clean it well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ilovemychook24

May 18, 2011
    nurse_turtle
    thankyou so much! i know what you mean, half of me wants to end her pain and the other half of me just wants her to live because she means alot to me but i guess i'll just have to do my best, i cant kill her and i dont want to give her away to be put down i just want to help
    it might be the wrong decision but i'm trying to believe she'll make it
    thankyou though [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  7. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    lol I clicked on this thread totally not expecting that!! lol Still, good luck with her!!

8. ilovemychook24

May 18, 2011
    lol do you mean about the pictures? oh and thankyou [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  9. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:lol Yeah, the pictures. They aren't that disgusting, but I still wasn't expecting that! lol And your welcome! :)

10. AlaskGirl

AlaskGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Gosh, this is one of the hardest things to see/hear about. I hope you have all the support you need and that she's healed or the other thing quickly. What a difficult thing! I'm so sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by