Big Red got in a fight with Mrs. C

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goldeneggtees, Dec 10, 2009.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I have a broody hen who hasn't been with the rest of her flock in awhile. Well, I took her out the other day for a poop and a stretch and she got attacked by big red. I was surprised to see her fight back. When I saw what was happening, I reprimanded big red (merely by pushing and scolding her loudly) and broke up the hen fight. I gathered Mrs. C and put her back on her nest. When I went to check on big red, she was sitting under a bush, on the cold ground uninjured but clearly in a funk. I felt so bad, she was immediately brought into our house and fed some tasty treats! [​IMG] Poor big red, such a sensitive chicken. She looked like a little kid sitting there, all flustered and upset. Of course it could have been she was upset by the fight and not by me chastising her but either way, it was cute! [​IMG]

2. MidnightChickenLover

MidnightChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Awe... and some people still think they are emotionless..

3. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    OOOhhh...glad you helped her feel better.

How's Mrs. C doing with her eggs? Should be soon, right? [​IMG]

4. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Mrs. C is still on her eggs. She actually got off the nest for the first time on her own yesterday to do her business! I was so proud of her! :–) Tomorrow is hatch day! I'm a nervous wreck, thinking she won't hatch any. It's been so cold. Praying she hatches at least one!!!![​IMG]

5. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    Good luck with the hatch! Biting my finger nails for you!
    [​IMG]
    Dale-Ann

6. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    well, I guess it got too cold for her, when we got home today she was off the eggs and they were cold to the touch, a friend who watched them for me this weekend said she was off yesterday too. I think she got too cold and gave up. I don't know what I did wro :hitng! I feel terrible, it's really heartbreaking! Can I order chicks this time of year? Poor gal, she looks terrible and it was all for nought.

7. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    Oh, I am so sorry. To come so close!
    Are you intending to brood chicks yourself or were you hoping to give them to Mrs. C?
    Dale-Ann

8. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I was intending to let her keep them but maybe that was a stupid move as well because of the cold. I let her back in with her flock last night and she kept trying to groom the other hen's wet feathers like they were chicks or something. I feel most sorry for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by