Big Red the wonderful hatchery RIR :)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by booker81, Sep 25, 2010.

1. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I'll load up a pic today.

I know hatchery stock is generally not the best, especially when it comes to boys, but man, I lucked out!!! Back in April, I purchased on a whim, one dozen assorted chicks, 6 from the RIR bin, 6 from the assorted bin, all straight run. I ended up with a nice mix - 5 boys, 7 girls. Of the 6 RIR, 1 was definately a rooster from the beginning, and I wasn't too hot on him, just a plain jane red chicken. I liked the SLW boys more - they were so pretty and colorful. A second RIR finally started showing boy signs, so I had my 5 roos. I intended on processing some of them, but I wanted to let them decide who was going to be dinner, based on their attitudes. I have a little girl, and no mean chickens allowed. Second chances are two chances too many with a little one.

So, time went on, and at 15 weeks, one of the SLW started to challenge us, and made the mistake of stalking out DD with that gleam in the eye. He was invited to dinner. The other two SLW and the two RIR were still not as mature, and just milled around. I still figured I'd cull out both of the RIR, just not "cool" enough for me. I didn't even bother naming them.

At 17 weeks, one of the SLW and one RIR started being obnoxious, and really beating on the hens, and the SLW came after me. Two more to dinner.

Now, I'm left with one SLW, and one RIR...and the RIR is just growing and growing. Great! I'll have a fantastic dinner! I still wasn't attached to him, just a plan bird ya know?

Well, at about 20 weeks, he came into his "almost adult" beauty - he's a GIANT, with gorgeous feathers, giant comb, and just a splendid boy to look at. I start watching him more, and I see how gentle he is to the hens - he will wing drop and dance for them, and if they squat, he mates, if not, he will leave them alone. When it's dust bath or sunning time, the girls all like to lay around him. He always finds food, calls, and backs out for the girls to eat. He gives a respectful distance to all humans. So, he was awarded a name by my husband, the original "Big Red". [​IMG]

I just can't get over how splendid and neat he is. He's a BIG boy, and dwarfs the rest of the chickens, but he doesn't use his size against anyone. He's gentle and nice to the girls, and doesn't get upset over my daughter's antics (we are trying to cut the chasing of chickens, but well, she's 2.5. She also likes to throw the BOSS on them). He never tries to stand up to me or DH when we herd them in from free ranging. He's just a nice, benevolent leader. And did I say how gorgeous he was? [​IMG]

So Big Red will stay (he's 24 weeks now). He's made it out of the stew pot. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    I love that story! Handsome is as handsome does.

3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I am glad to hear you have a good RIR roo! Mine got mean at 22 weeks. I know it was because of the numbers of roos I had but they were the most aggressive. I have had to do the same thing...cull as they grow and now down to two BR roos and one BO....I love them all but am watching closely to see if I have to cull again....and know I will.

Still trying to figure it all out.

4. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    ....and isn't he handsome! Much nicer looking than what I had!

5. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    [​IMG] I do have a second roo, the last SLW roo, but he's kind of messed up, not a very pretty thing - hunchback, curled toes, you name it. However he is the low totem pole rooster, and the few lowest ranked hens are his girls. Big Red tolerates Buddy the rooster, but will chase him occasionally to keep him in line, no fighting though. Buddy also doesn't challenge us, but he's too....messed up I guess to even think of it I suppose. He still is a good boy, just way at the the bottom of the pecking order [​IMG] I did buy 5 more hens a few months ago, so we have 12 hens and 2 roosters. Since Buddy isn't that....active, it makes for a nice mix.

It's nice to have a flock that everyone is happy, hens aren't over-bred, roos are polite and nice to have around, and everyone is happy to see me with the bucket of scraps each day!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  6. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    What a hansome boy! You did get lucky, and good for him for earning his keep!

7. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    Handsome! Lucky you! I am keeping an eye on our SLW. As long as he is friendly and does not pick on our old Silkie roo...he can stay.

8. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    He is beautiful [​IMG]

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Wow, he is a Big Dude!
    I hope my RIR rooster turns out to be that huge and beautiful! [​IMG]

10. theoldchick