Big Roo, Bantam hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flour-girl, Dec 1, 2008.

1. flour-girl

flour-girl New Egg

Aug 2, 2008
    Rural North Texas
    I don't know what types of chickens I have, except that they're all bantam, except for Godzilla, a BIG non-bantam. By trying to mate with a bantam hen, can he hurt her?

2. Nugget

Nugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2007
    yes.
    My poor bantam game hen was sliced across both sides of her neck by the standard rooster as he tried to grip her while mating. We have no roosters anymore. I would be pretty cautious, he could injure or kill a little bantam hen.

3. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I have had standard roos break some of my bantie hens necks by trying to mate with them. They don't mean to hurt them but it just happens.

4. flour-girl

flour-girl New Egg

Aug 2, 2008
    Rural North Texas
    Just a note to Nugget and Southerngirl....thanks for the information. I truly appreciate your responses.

I don't know how I could have become so attached to these chickens! I'm madly in love, as is my husband.

I used to say that if we have a problem with too many roosters, I'd be willing to make stock out of them, but could never actually EAT them. Now, I just don't know if I can sentence a roo to death just because he's behaving naturally....I'm torn!

Kind regards,

5. Jster

Jster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2007
    Oh, surely the solution is obvious! You need some standard sized hens and two separate pens! And a bantam roo too! [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by