Big Roo beat up little Roo!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jhook1997, Dec 3, 2011.

1. jhook1997

jhook1997 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    While we were gone yesterday, somehow our bantam roo got into the coop with the older chickens. Abraham, our full-grown EE Roo protected his ladies and beat up little Romeo. He was able to fly up and get on a high ledge and stayed there, probably most of the day. When we got home he was bloody under his beak on his neck and very bloody behind his comb. Not quite sure how to treat it, but we cleaned everything and sprayed it with bactine. We've done this twice so far. Any other suggestions?

2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Put him in a dry, quiet, warm, separate place.. where he can be safe and eat and drink... you can use Blu Kote Spray for injuries... (feed store)... If he is eating and drinking he will probably be o.k...

From what you are saying you normally keep him separate from the other flock, the other rooster.. so.. if he has his own ladies and flock he will be fine. Probably need to find out how he got out and into the other coop and run.. so you can take care of that.. if he could get out a predator could get in.

Good luck.. sounds like you did good taking care of his injuries.

Take care.....

3. psimons2004

psimons2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    I'm sure he will be okay if a little scared up. Neosprin is safe to use also or bag balm, since he can't reach those spots to ingest it.
    The last time I had an injured chicken everyone on here said to feed him scrambed eggs, as the protein will help with a speedy recovery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by