Big Roo or Little Roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MEchickenfarmer33, Aug 9, 2011.

1. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    i am thinking of getting a BO rooster to go with my family of 8 hens. i am wondering whether they will fight to the death or will they obey him at first sight. and should i get a rooster smaller or bigger than my hens. thanks for the replys

2. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    As long as he's not a lot smaller than the hens it really doesn't matter, if he's younger they will put him in his place but as he ages he'll grow into the job. I had a br roo that i put in with my bo's at 16 weeks and every nite for about a week they would nock him off the top roost if he was dumb enough to think he was going to sleep there. Two months later he was on the top roost surrounded by his girls.

3. MEchickenfarmer33

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    so are you suggesting i should get one like the same size??? and can i just throw him in the coop. i have introduced 2 catalana hens with my original 6 black star hens and they are friends now but it took a lot of time before they were all sleeping together on the roost together. i have a nesting box with a closeable door in the coop that can be used to contain him while he gets used to the girls???

4. doop

doop Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    n.e minnesota
    I'm kind of a newbie, but i know that the veteran chicken owners will tell you to keep him seperate for a month to make sure that he is healthy so he doesnt get your flock sick. And i would recomend it myself as i bought a couple red stars and they had a respitory problem thank goodness i segregated them first. As far as putting him in with your hens i had 5 hens and threw my easter egger in and they. Loved him from the get go especially my barred rock she followed him everywhere immediately.

5. MEchickenfarmer33

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    the pen i have is IN the coop would the disease spread if he had one if he was kept confined IN the coop. im gonna name him Duke
    doop [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  6. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Well first I would quarintine a new bird for 3-4 weeks then let them get to know each other thru a fence or cage for awhile then maybe let them range together for a week or so then put them together.
    The pecking order is always going to come into play but they will work it out,and it will change as your flock ages it's just part of being a chicken. As long as nobody is getting really hurt leave them alone and let them work it out. You might might want to add an extra food and water source at least for a while to make sure you don't have a bully stopping the new kids from eating.
    Every flock is different and will act accordingly just watch yours and they will tell you when to integrate. Just don't worry about a young roo he will grow into the job in his own time ,some are just faster than othersand even a mature roo will have to fit into the pecking order.

Dan

7. MEchickenfarmer33

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    yeah when i introduced the 2 catalana i locked up the Black Star hens in the run and allowed the catalana to be free range and i think the pecking order was established through the wires. then i let them all out free range together

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by