big roo suddenly intolerant of silkie roos?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RisingSpring, Feb 10, 2012.

1. RisingSpring

RisingSpring Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    Northwestern PA
    our flock in brief: plymouth rock rooster, 10 heritage breed hens, 2 silkie roos & 4 silkie hens. pretty much the whole flock is of similar age, they all reached maturity / started laying about 3 months ago or so.

we had 6 silkie roos before, and when they started becoming interested in the hens it became chaotic, they would gang up on the silkie hens, and even the big hens, and get very aggressive with them. so 4 of them went bye bye. things have been much smoother since, everyone seems more relaxed.

we did have a full grown salmon favorelle rooster during the fall who was the alpha, we adopteded him from a friend, but he got killed by a hawk around christmas. the big plymouth rock rooster was always a total wimp, scared of his own shadow. but since the other rooster died, he seems to be finally taking his place as the leader in the last few weeks and things seemed good lately. he is actually very good with the hens, i have been very impressed with him. the 2 remaining silkie roos seemed to have calmed down too and know that they aren't in charge and need to calm down.

i just came back from the coop and noticed one of my silkie roos (the one in my avatar actually) hiding in a nesting spot. upon closer inspection he has a bit of blood on his comb/waddles and on his head; he looked shaken up, looked like he got into a fight. so i checked the other silkie roo and he was the same way. i am pretty sure the two silkies wouldn't fight, they are best buds, and have been together since they hatched.

so i am thinking the big roo is suddenly intolerant of the silkie roos and has been putting them in their place. the silkies and the big chickens usually have their separate gangs during the day, but they do mix it up often.

i am wondering if i should be concerned.. could this be a one time deal of alpha rooster telling them off, or could this be the beginning of some serious fighting??

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Don't think that unless you see it. My D Uccle roosters fight amongst each other. They chase my Marans roo all over the yard. Just because they are little don't mean anything.

3. RisingSpring

RisingSpring Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    Northwestern PA
    thanks for replying. i think you are right. i was quick to jump to that conclusion.
    my husband just told me that from his office, he looked out the window not long ago and saw the two silkie roos fighting with each other.

i wonder why this just started??..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by