Big rooster fight help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenCrazay, Jan 20, 2015.

1. ChickenCrazay

ChickenCrazay Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2014
    so we have 2 flocks. they are seperated by a fence. our pet and laying flock rooster (Waffles/Silkie) has 1.5 acres of yard to rule. our fryer flock rooster (Lucky/Jersey Giant) is free range. they both have quite a large amount of hens/pullets.there is a gate between these 2 territorys that has 3 inch gaps between the bars. they manage to find that one spot that they could posibly fight each other. their heads get very torn up... Waffles takes a chunk out of Lucky's wattle,lucky takes chunk of Waffle's comb etc. i go out to put the chickens away that sleep on the porch and Waffles looks gruesome, i mean head and cape feathers covered in blood.

so we take him inside and bathe him. we put Neosporin on his comb, dry him, and put him in a warm dry cage bedded with hay,inside. then we get lucky, just as bad, we did the same thing.

so next morning their fine, they wake everyone up at 5:30 for a crowing match. all im wondering is what do i do next?

~Kira~

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Cover the holes on the gate so they can't fight any more for starters. Keep their wounds clean, they will heal up just fine if kept from getting infected.

3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Tarps, chicken wire,boards-anything to cover the gap. otherwise they'll probably keep fighting.

4. ChickenCrazay

Mar 21, 2014
    ok how do i keep then from getting infected?

5. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Clean wounds w/ water or peroxide or sterile saline. Remove all traces of blood-they will continue to go after that. Apply triple antibiotic. If something starts to look infected, start antibiotics. If it looks like a wound that would heal fairly easily on you, then, it should heal ok on them. And, of course, keep those two apart. [​IMG]

6. ChickenCrazay

Mar 21, 2014
    Thank you they healed up just fine. lucky had a scar but other than that they are fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by