Big Roosters and Small Roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheTwoRoos, Nov 26, 2016.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I have 2 big roosters.One is about a year and a half,while the other is only about 5 months.

I recently got four Cochin,possibly a roo,almost positive one is one.I would like to keep him,but I know how hen are with smaller birds.Are roosters the same?Will they just pick on him because his size and the fact he is a rooster?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It is very likely that they will pick on him for both reasons. Given enough space to keep away from one another they may work things out without injury.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x2 what sourland says. With enough space, feeding and watering stations, and escape areas, things may work out. You need lots of hens! If all the cocks and cockerels get along now, things may still get difficult next spring, so continue to monitor the situation. Mary

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    The cochins are not old enough to be outside riht now,only 8 weeks and gets down into 30's,too cold.I think we'll have enough hens.Hopefully he'll try to stay to his harem,an dpossibly snatch a few older hens up,plan on getting two more pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by