Big "screen" door, wwyd?

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
So I have a shed that we use as our coop, it has big doors that swing open. I'm considering making a big "screen" that goes over the hole with a small door for me to go in and out of (door will lock).

Since the door will only be used when I am home and during daylight hours do you think plain old chicken wire would be fine?

Also would it be worth it to do the project now with winter right around the corner or should I wait till spring?

If I open up the coop during the winter and just use the screen door would that be okay? As long as it's not below freezing and there is no snow/rain getting in?

I really have no more room for windows (I have one small one) and I noticed they love when I open the door and they all spread out and sun bathe.

I built a screen door for my coop by sandwiching a piece of hardware cloth between 1X4 and 1X6 pieces of pine. Screwed the whole assembly together. There's a pic of it, on page 5 (Or is it 4?) of the link below. I built it heavyduty because it is open practically all through the warmer months.
Jack

"Chicken wire" is pretty much useless for anything except keep chickens out of your garden.

I'd use 2 X 4 welded wire or 1 X 2 if you want to spend a lot more for it

I agree: chicken wire is too weak for door use, and wont hold up to a concerted attack by dogs or other predators. harware cloth of 3/4 or even 1/2 inch is nice sized for such use, very strong.

1x2 welded wire I like, 2x4 is too open and the birds can get their head through out of curiosity, and get mauled by probing paws.

It'll only be open if I'm out there with them, mainly to let in light/add some air flow and keep the girls in. Their doors will be closed if I'm not out there.

Back
Top Bottom