Big storm last night, found my ladies dead!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by anxietyknits, Jun 13, 2010.

1. anxietyknits

anxietyknits Hatching

Jun 13, 2010
    Greensboro
    We had a huge storm last night, and this morning I found my two hens, Billie and Blanche, had flown the coop and were laying dead in the yard with their heads back and legs stretched out, both the same even though they were on different sides of my yard. There wasn't any blood, just dead. What could have happened to them? Was it the storm? Shock? Fear?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    It is possible they might have died from heart attack, fear... so sorry to hear that you lost your girls! Hope you can find some girls to take their place.

3. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion 8 Years

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I'm so sorry for your loss [​IMG]

4. AlaskGirl

AlaskGirl Songster

Apr 19, 2010
    WOW, THAT was unavoidable, I'm sorry to hear about your loss as well!

5. 3chimama

3chimama Songster 8 Years

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    So sorry for your loss....how terrible.

6. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Songster

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    That's terrible! So sorry to hear that. How did they get out of the coop? We had some T-Storms here last night and I make sure to close up the windows even though it was warm out so they don't get too scared. Where are you located? I don't think our storms were as bad.

I know it's a sad entrance, but [​IMG]

7. tjweaver84

tjweaver84 In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Winterville, NC
    I had my 5 6 week old chicks out on the deck in the brooder last night and we had a storm as well. I guess the brooder didn't have enough drainage because it flooded drowning 4 of them. It was a sad morning. I should have put the cover over them but it wasn't supposed to rain and there were no clouds when I went to bed. Though Lucy survived somehow and is doing well after much intensive care.

8. anxietyknits

anxietyknits Hatching

Jun 13, 2010
    Greensboro
    I guess the coop has a loose hinge or something, that or they had figured out how to get it open. I'm in greensboro nc and we have been having some bad storms but I never thought it could kill them. If I had known I would have brought them into the house!

9. tjweaver84

tjweaver84 In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Winterville, NC
    If I had had any inkling it was going to rain last night I would have covered them up. But I know how you feel. If I had only done this or that they wouldn't have died. Though the event here ended up with the survivor being named. She is now Lucky Lucy because she survived by pure luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: