Big Surprise!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SheriM, Feb 24, 2009.

1. SheriM

SheriM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    I got a huge surprise tonight. It's supposed to be really cold tonight so I stopped at the barn on my way in from work this evening to check on my litter of Great Pyr pups but the minute I stepped into the barn I heard an unmistakable sound. The goats have a loose housing area at the back of the barn where they bed down at night. I hurried over to look in there and sure enough...a brand new baby goat!! It shocked the heck out of me because I wasn't expecting any babies till May. Last year, I wasn't able to separate the bucklings as early as I normally do, thanks to a lack of pen space. I guess one of them got a little...well, frisky. [​IMG]

2. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Nice Surprise![​IMG] we need pics tomorrow!

Nancy [​IMG]

3. SheriM

Jan 27, 2009
    The mystery deepens!

Okay, now I'm totally confused. The only doe in the herd who is showing any interest in this surprise baby of ours has no udder to speak of. After a major battle, I did manage to get a few drops of colstrum out of her, but her teats were capped over and obviously hadn't been nursed in quite a while, if at all. This is an experienced doe who has always had no trouble whatsoever raising her babies. She had two huge girls last year and fed them fine. So I don't know what's going on, but the baby took about 6 oz. of colostrum from a bottle tonight. Sucked it back without stopping so, yeah, she was hungry, but given her size, the state of her navel, etc. she's at least 24 hours old. Somebody fed her enough to keep her going this long!

The absolute LAST thing I need right now is a bottle baby, but it looks like that's what I'm going to have. I'll take her a bottle tomorrow morning and see how it goes, but there's simply no way that doe has enough milk to keep a baby alive, let alone grow and thrive.

Oh, and did you notice I said "she"? It's a girl!!!![​IMG]

4. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    Congrats on your surprise girl!!! I have twin bucklings! They are 2 weeks today.

5. YAY It's a Girl !!! I just love bottle babies cant wait to see a pic . That sure would be a great surprise .

Fay

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    What a great surprise! [​IMG]

7. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I think we need pictures
    I hope everything works out with the mom and feeding

8. SheriM

Jan 27, 2009
    Looks like we've got a house guest.

[​IMG]

She was quite weak this morning, so I brought her in and tube fed her. She's sleeping on my couch at the moment, on a heating pad. We'll see how it goes.

9. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

HOW CUTE!!!! [​IMG]
    I hope she makes it for you...

10. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    She is a little beauty,

I hope she is fine soon, hmmm so adorable. [​IMG]

Thanks for posting the pic, it is feeding a new addiction.

Jena.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by