big surprise

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenarmy, Oct 19, 2011.

1. chickenarmy

chickenarmy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2011
    We are new to BYC and just had a great success story.
    One of our white hens, Cherry, disappeared three weeks ago and we told the children she was dead but she returned with 7 chicks on Saturday.
    Nice organic experience!
    We have had chickens for one year now and lots of adventures but this has been the best!

chickenarmy:)

34 birds- Blackberry, Midas, Hashbrown, Diamond, Penguin, Butterscotch, Cacao, Leah, Emerald, Leaf, Liberty, Cherry, Vanilla, Rosie, Rosemary, Thyme, Rainbow, Golly, Ratchet, Parsley, Shorty, Daisy, Hawkie, Cookie, Snowbelle, three unnamed Ameraucanas, Sunset Star, Lemon Frost, 5 unnamed chickies:)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] How exciting! I wonder where she was hiding?

3. chickenarmy

chickenarmy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2011
    We are still wondering. She just showed up with her chicks. Amazing because we have eagles, ravens, mink and racoons. Nevermind the neighbour's dogs...

4. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Wow! What a survivor!! [​IMG] [​IMG] I bet you just love the chicks! [​IMG]

5. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    aww, that's so cute! Hooray for happy endings!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Welcome to the BYC [​IMG]

Congrats!!! What a great story for the family and thanks for share. So wheres the pictures? [​IMG]

7. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for sharing your great experience! [​IMG]

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Aw, that's awesome!! [​IMG] Yay for babies and for mamas you thought you'd lost! [​IMG]

My ducks periodically disappear and try to raise a nest of babies on their own, but I have learned to go look for them and put them in the pen for a few days. I once let a hen try to raise some babies under a bush in the yard--very well hidden. About three days before her hatch, she disappeared. Darn fox. [​IMG] So I no longer allow it if I can help it.

Of course, you had no idea she was even alive, so there's not much you could have done. And this one had a happy ending! Yay!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by