1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Big temp change this week advice needed.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckins, Jan 21, 2013.

1. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    We live in va temps are normally in 40-50 f during day nights 20-30 f coldest so far has been 20 at night which after reading on here is a joke compared to some of y'all's temps this week it's supposed to be 20s during day and 15 and below at night which to us is big cool down we have 3 pekin drakes 10 mons old 10-12 lbs and their very thick they have well bedded lot with a house in it lot is covered all but front by tarps for wind breaks they use their house occasionally most time they sleep on one leg (not sure why) in middle of their lot just wandering if I should mount a heat lamp in their house normally I'd say no but could this sudden change in temp affect them since their not adapt to temps below 20s in our area or do ducks adapt to whatever temps are should mention we have 8 hens in all 2 buffs 2 black swed 3 mons old and 4 crest 10 wks old that are housed separate from drakes they have access to heat lamp if they choose and they use theirs occasionally on colder nights. Please let me know what you think just want to be prepared for these guys thanks.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    How deep is well bedded where you are? Like, a foot or so of bedding?

It's hard to know exactly, and that can be nerve-wracking. But my runners are much less cold-hardy than many ducks (based on their body condition and behavior when they were outside in below-freezing weather at night), so I keep them in a shelter that doesn't get much below 40F.

If you have a safe way of keeping it closer to freezing in their shelter, I would use it. Just be sure to prevent fires.

If you have a way to peek in on them without opening a door or window, that might be a good thing so you can check on them. But I will say my runners hate flashlights, and they would panic if I checked on them with a flashlight, so I installed very low light led rope lights around their outdoor pen so I could see enough to know they were okay.

Blocking the wind and insulating, perhaps with straw bales stacked up (make sure they cannot fall over on the ducks - one of my nightmares) around the outside of the shelter (or inside walls if it is large enough) are some things people do.

We are expecting temperatures to stay below freezing till sometime early next week. One of my challenges is fresh water for bathing. Last night I drained the hoses and put them in the garage (it stays above freezing). But sometimes the outdoor spigot is frozen. I attach hand warmers to thaw the spigot sometimes.

3. duckins

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    I foot of bedding at moment will add more today. I do a night check before I go to bed on everyone the girls heat lamps provide enough light to see everyone use flashlight to make sure nothing's been trying to break in everyone is usually in middle where to lots connect sleeping side by side boys one side girls the other side when I shine light on their house they get up and go in colder than 25 f they all stay in their houses. Even though their bigger and more feathered they will not bathe below 45 f and hate the rain,wind, and snow. 3 mon old hens however love rain, wind, snow and try to swim below freezing in ice so I really have to be their common sense guide. Everyone has electric water bucket keeps water at 50 f. Just was thinking if you took a duck used to milder climates and put them in cold climates with no transition period would they be okay.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I'm 10F with a windchill factor of 0 my ducks are in, there all Muscovy, they have NO interest in being outside, I'm bedded well and i have heated water buckets and keep plenty of feed in there mini barn.

It's hard with heat lamps because you don't want the birds to get accustomed to a temp that is drastically different than outside, that can almost cause more harm.

How are the birds acting? My duck barn has one of those big massive round thermometers so i can easily register where were at, i think it was -5C and were -12C with -18C windchill so it's doing pretty good. There are 10 birds total in there for reference. I basically suggest watching the birds, ensure they have feed/water.

It's hard exact temps don't really matter it's what your used too, i mean right now if it shot up to the 40's we'd think that was warm yet someone used to the 70-80's would be freezing, it's all relative.

I should mention if you do choose the heat lamp route ensure it's well secured, the hydro source is sound and keep in mind you can downgrade the bulb you do not have to go 250watts, a 100 watt can provide quite a bit of warmth to at least take the edge off.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  5. duckins

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Yes was thinking of 100 watt instead of 250. That's what I had wondered if you took mine and your ducks and swapped climates mine would prob freeze yours would think its summer here lol

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    For sure, about a week & a half ago we hit plus temps +8C-10+ they were acting like it was spring lol For reference i checked on them again, it's now -11C out and the barn is steady at zero.. i haven't done anything different, i was just in adding another feed bowl lol so they are keeping the barn decent despite the outdoor temp.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by