Big water jug question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hd_darcy, Jul 3, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    My husband is using nipples and going to have a big water jug for them. I think he said it was 33 gallon? I'm wondering if the water gets bad before they drink it all? Is there anything to put in the water to keep it fresh? Thanks in advance!

2. K-Chick

K-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    NW In
    I wouldn't trust it, but I guess you can try it once and see if its too much water. Guess you wouldn't have to fill it all the way up either. I did this with a 5 gal bucket and it works well. I just have to be careful that dirt that gets in doesn't clog the nipples.

3. Mother of All

Mother of All Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    add a little ACV to the water

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    what exactly are watering nipples? and is that more logical than just putting a waterer in there or putting fresh water in each day? I am really curious, I see this a lot...

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
  6. shopchicks

shopchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    I have a 5 gallon bucket with nipples for 6 birds, and find that it is due to be dumped out and given a quick cleaning (just a strong jet of water from the hose) after about two weeks. In hot weather, the water is getting pretty low by then, anyway. I use 6 tablespoons of Bragg's apple cider vinegar each time I refill the bucket, and I think that helps retard the bacterial growth between water changes.

So I guess 33 gallons would be about right if you have 25-50 birds, but might be overkill for a small flock - it might be tempting to leave it too long without cleaning if they never empty the water out...

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'm wondering if the water gets bad before they drink it all?

Just because it holds that much doesn't mean you have to fill it full, although if it's mostly in the shade it should be fine​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by