1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Big White Chickenss....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicksnducks, May 13, 2007.

1. chicksnducks

chicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    this is our other Big chicken...all the others that we got at the same time are the size of the golden chicken...can anyone tell me what the golden one is and is this Big one a cornish game Hen????

[​IMG]

2. Unbridled

Unbridled Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    Moses Lake, WA
    The big one is a cornish game hen and the little one looks like a golden or red sex link.

3. Rebel Chicken

Rebel Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    southern Indiana
    The lil red and white one looks like a golden comet (aka red sex link)

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The little one looks just like my golden sexlinks, wonderful layers... the big one is 100% a Cornish cross....not a game hen. Looks just like the ones I have at that age.... Hope you didn't get the white one as a pet... it's a meat bird and unless on a strict diet, will probably die of heart failure or if you can keep it alive, it will live a very short life. They taste very good though, butcher at about 8 weeks for a 5 lb bird as that is a girl.

5. chicksnducks

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    the two "fat chicks" as we have called them are my fav and I am not happy about their short life span. They are all my "pets"!![​IMG][​IMG] I try to exercise them daily to maybe give them a better chance of surviving. I don't want to find them dead and I dont' want to butcher them...so I am not sure what I will do....they are about 6 weeks now.....
    do you think there is such a thing as chicken weight watchers?????[​IMG]

and what does "sex-link" mean????

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  6. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    The Cornish X wont die in 6 weeks unless you kill them. I have one that is well over 9 months old, and he isnt slowing down!

Sex-Link means that they are able to sex the chicks at hatch. They are cross breeds. The females are a different color than the males.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

To prolong it's life, just make sure it doesn't over eat it's self to death. They will act like they are starving but really they probally aren't. Just dont let them eat all day and night. I've only had one die before butcher time and it was when it was 9 weeks old. The majority of their problems is leg issues because their bones don't keep up with their weight.

Weight watchers for chickens = feed during day, none at night. Good luck!

It's too bad that most feed stores don't tell new owners that those are meat birds. I think it's pretty cool that the one I go to tells people on the spot that they are meat breed so they don't become highly attached to a bird with a short life span.

8. chicksnducks

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    well at least there is hope, but I see what you mean about the legs because these two sti alot more than the others. I ty to let the food run out before filling it but what about the other chickies & ducks who eat with them?

9. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I've never restrict the amount of food my cornish X gets. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by