Big White Cochin has not walked for a week

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by daisy123, Feb 23, 2011.

1. daisy123

daisy123 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2011
    Started last week she started sitting in the corner of the coop and not getting up. Brought her in the house she is eating well grapes, layer pellets bananas and she is drinking water and some milk. She looks healthy she just can't walk. She can move her feet but she will not grip my finger. She is also using her wings to move around. Great docile bird hoping she gets better. Has anyone had any luck with this sort of thing?

2. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    About how old is she? Is she laying now?

3. RedneckChikns

RedneckChikns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Plant City, FL
    Not good...could be many things from injury to being overdone by aggressive roo to her being egg bound or just an old lady. Ive never had an egg bound hen so Im no help in that dept...but I would be thinking along those lines if she is younger. hope all turns out well.

4. daisy123

daisy123 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2011
    My hen is about two years old. She is a large cochin always unassuming. I do have four large ducks living with my hens and now I am wondering if one of them got ruff with her causing some kind of spinal injury. Everyday when I get home from work I expect to see her on the decline, but it has not happened. She is eating, drinking just not walking. Most birds decline is pretty quick a hen is out of it and not eating or drinking, this is not the case right now. Are there birds that can survive without using their legs I have never seen it. If something doesn't improve for her soon we have to make some kind of decision which is always the worst. Playing it day to day!

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Is the chicken feed getting wet and maybe some missed pieces getting moldy? Botulism can present with leg paralysis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by