big wound in chicken neck**warning gross pic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oceanbird, Apr 13, 2008.

1. oceanbird

oceanbird Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    Neighbor's dog attacked my chicken and took a big bite out of her neck. This happend yesterday and I thought she would die in a few hours but she looks better today but she still has a big piece of her neck missing- should I try to give her stiches or should I kill her to put her out of her misery? Although I'm not confindent about the killing part either so if that's the answer I need and easy way to do it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Is she eating and drinking? Without seeing a pic of the wound, it is hard to make a decision on treatment. If it is really bad and can't be bandaged, and if you think she is suffering, I would put her down. Then take her to your neighbor for reimbursment. Good luck and I'm so sorry for all your troubles. [​IMG]

3. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Show a pic, and we can tell more. You might be surprised how well a chicken can heal from wounds, don't give up yet!

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Can you post pics asap?????????? This would help people a great deal in terms of suggesting remedy.

You will likely need to administer antibiotic asap - oral or injectible - recommendations re: what type will come along from those who have the most experience with this..

In the meantime, is the wound such that topical antibiotic could be applied (neosporin) or is there no skin left?

She needs to be in a stress free environment right now with comfty temps. Need to make sure she stays hydrated - is she drinking? I've often read here that at times like this electrolytes are recommended - small amount of pedialyte will do in a pinch.

For pain (I have to believe she's feeling the pain of this by now), the usual remedy recommended is 5 regular (325 mg) aspirin (no substitutes) crushed per gallon of water.

Other advice should come along shortly - in the meantime, try to get pics up.....
    JJ

5. chickmomma30

chickmomma30 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Odessa MO
    ok as a kid we had something like this happen to one of our hens. She had her back ripped off to the bone. She ate and drank with out a problem. So we put utter boom on her wound and it stunk a little but she lived and was able to grow her feathers back. If you use utter boom get the real stuff they use on cows at your local feed store it is medicated to help her heal. (it is also great to use on your own hands i use it lol)

6. oceanbird

May 11, 2007
    [​IMG]

7. oceanbird

May 11, 2007
    Ok I got the pic up- she is drinking not eating but now she is sitting down on the ground.

8. chickmomma30

chickmomma30 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Odessa MO
    poor thing i hope she makes it for you. that brings back so many memories.

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Try to keep her warm and quiet. She may be stressed. did you put some aspirin in her water?

10. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    sperate your bird to a clean dry temp stable area... although a bit after the fact so to speak I would still flush that area with a sterile saline (boil 1/4 tsp of salt in a quart of water for five minutes and cool) then apply a triple antibiotic creme to the area (if you do not have that then treat area with iodine or betadine and then put on some honey to keep moist and repeat this daily)
    You will need to put electrolytes in her waterer for shock...If you do not have the poultry (durvet) electrolytes then pedialyte or even gatorade will do in a pinch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by