Big Wound! Need Help!

countrygirl74

Songster
7 Years
Oct 19, 2012
Northern Arizona
EMERGENCY!

Ok, here's the scoop - got some saddles for my girls because I'm still waiting for my new pullets to get big enough as I already know I have too many roos to my hens. All my other girls are just a little feather bare on their backs and a small bare spot on their heads - no wounds, no completely bare backs, yet - which is why I got the saddles. I have one big EE roo and two other little silkie roos.

Anyway, I noticed something when I was putting on her saddle and then when I pulled some feathers away and her wing, this is what I found. I feel terrible! I haven't done a full examination on them for a while and I wish I would have caught this before.

I just need help to know what to do - I am guessing she got tore open from the roos as there is nothing else that could have caused this that I can think of. Also, the rooster does not have his spurs yet.

I have her in the house right now - soaking her in warm water to loosen up the junk that's dried all over it. It's a bunch of dirt and stuff. When I try to pull some, her skin is pretty raw underneath, but I know I've got to get it all - it's like she's skinned alive right there.

I have neosporin, bluekote - maybe other things that you would suggest. What is the best way to deal with this? I don't see any big signs of infection yet. Looking for natural ways... I can't afford a vet bill - just some advice on best way to soak/clean/treat?

There seems to be another layer of skin forming under the dirt but when I try to get the dirt off, the skin comes with it. I can also easily slide a q-tip underneath the skin all around the wound - it feels like skinning a chicken but she's alive!

notinoz2007

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2011
Phoenix Area
i want to say i have all the answers, but alas...
it looks pretty clean, you've done a good job. blukote is has some antibiotic properties if i'm not mistaken, i would definitely go with that. but i'm not a personal fan of neosporin. if she were mine i would keep her in the shower tonight. she eating ok?
it looks a bit ... dont know the word... like an ulcer, maybe. ? everything looks fine then a hole... no picking or tearing from the other birds so she did a good job of hiding it. best would be to keep her away from the boys until it heals completely.

countrygirl74

Songster
7 Years
Oct 19, 2012
Northern Arizona
Thanks, I did some research too while I was waiting for an answer and I did end up putting neosporin on it, then spraying blukote. I am going to keep her separated from the roos so she can heal up a bit. She won't be happy about it but I'm afraid even with the saddle that she needs a break. She seems to be feeling fine - so fine that I would have never noticed it except for the fact that I was going to put a saddle on her today because her back was looking pretty feather-torn. Thanks so much for your help! I found doing a search on here that several people have had this happen to their hens due to sharp claws or spurs. Poor girls!

City farm

Crowing
8 Years
Jul 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.
EMERGENCY! Ok, here's the scoop - got some saddles for my girls because I'm still waiting for my new pullets to get big enough as I already know I have too many roos to my hens. All my other girls are just a little feather bare on their backs and a small bare spot on their heads - no wounds, no completely bare backs, yet - which is why I got the saddles. I have one big EE roo and two other little silkie roos. Anyway, I noticed something when I was putting on her saddle and then when I pulled some feathers away and her wing, this is what I found. I feel terrible! I haven't done a full examination on them for a while and I wish I would have caught this before. I just need help to know what to do - I am guessing she got tore open from the roos as there is nothing else that could have caused this that I can think of. Also, the rooster does not have his spurs yet. I have her in the house right now - soaking her in warm water to loosen up the junk that's dried all over it. It's a bunch of dirt and stuff. When I try to pull some, her skin is pretty raw underneath, but I know I've got to get it all - it's like she's skinned alive right there. I have neosporin, bluekote - maybe other things that you would suggest. What is the best way to deal with this? I don't see any big signs of infection yet. Looking for natural ways... I can't afford a vet bill - just some advice on best way to soak/clean/treat? There seems to be another layer of skin forming under the dirt but when I try to get the dirt off, the skin comes with it. I can also easily slide a q-tip underneath the skin all around the wound - it feels like skinning a chicken but she's alive!
Grat job with cleaning !! You have done everything right. I would put vetricine on after. It is amazing the spelling might be off.. Local feed store will have it.. It is amazing

Top Bottom