Big wound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hijinxer, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Hijinxer

Hijinxer New Egg

Jul 1, 2014
    this is my first time with chickens. I came home to this. Any advice on what I can do is appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looks like a predator may have gotten hold of your chicken, any dogs running loose of course your chicken would probably be dead if a predator got hold of it maybe she got caught in something. Where did you find her? To treat her wound wash it real good in some soapy warm water then you can use tripe antibiotic or Neosporin nothing with pain relief in it. keep her away for the flock while she has an open wound they will be drawn to it like flies. once it starts to heal get some Blue Kote and spray it real good this stuff will disguise the wound and help it heal. if you live in a warm climate you need to keep her where flies can't get to the wound. Chickens are pretty tough and I think she'll heal fine if you follow these instructions. She maybe in shock right now though so make sure to keep her in a quiet warm place for at least first 24 hrs. you can put some water with electrolytes in it and offer food although she may not want to eat for a while.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  3. Hijinxer

Hijinxer New Egg

Jul 1, 2014
    Thank you Miss Lydia. I cleaned it with saline wash dried it and applied neosporin. She's inside in our sunroom. It is going to be getting in the 20s here so I'm going to keep her inside for a few days and see how she does. I gave her some scratch and some water, she ate a little bit. I believe my Great Pyrenees did this. A couple days ago he was what I assume to be playing with one of the other chickens. Her back was wet but no feathers were missing nor was she hurt. The next time it was a different chicken and she was completely wet and still no feathers missing. Today I came home to To find diva outside the fence. I thought she was fine until I got closer and I saw what I thought was blood but ended up being her injury. I can't say for sure what happened but my assumption is my Great Pyrenees was licking her and then started plucking feathers and possibly caught her skin and pulled what you see off. I'm afraid I'm going to have to find him a new home. I have six chickens and my flock at the moment.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd say that maybe best unless you do some intensive training with him. I'm glad you figured it out and I am pretty sure she will be fine just needs a bit of time to recoup. You just want to make sure the rest of your chickens can't get to that wound [the reason for the Blue Kote] Chickens are drawn to red. Please let us know how she is doing. and

Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by