bigger chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chittyn, Sep 28, 2011.

1. chittyn

chittyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    the chicks are growing very quickly i was thinking would it be ok for me to move them into a rabbit hutch in a shed for a few weeks until they are fully fethered because they are quickly running out of space in the brooder ! thanks

2. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    That will be fine providing the have the neccessary heat source to keep them warm. How old are the chicks?.
    I will be moving my 2 and 3 week olds out to the shed this week, as they too are getting too big but i will provide a heat lamp to make sure they are kept warm as they are not fully feathered as yet.

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Something to consider; the mom would normally be keeping them warm and out of the wind and draft. You need to do that now for them. Make sure you give them an area to get out of the heat if it gets to hot better cooler than cooking them.

JMHO
    '
    Steve

4. chittyn

chittyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Thanks for the post. They will be just over 3 weeks old when i move them into the hutch i can provide a heat lamp if possible. Obvioulsly half is wire and the other hardwood should i put the lamp in the hardwood bit ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by