Bigger hen all bloody!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dldavis34, Sep 1, 2009.

1. dldavis34

dldavis34 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    Montrose, CO
    I have 12 white rock hens, all 20 weeks old. There is one that is bigger than the other ones. I went out this morning and her butt was all bloody and the other hens won't leave her alone. I am assuming that it was the other hens pecking her and making her bleed. I took her out of the coop and put her in a seperate pen. Is there anything that I can do to stop this from happening again? This is the first time I have had any problems. I don't want any other hens to be pecked at.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    It sounds like she may have had a laying issue or something, and began bleeding...chickens are cannabalistic - when they see blood, they'll peck nonstop, until the poor "victim" dies! You did the right thing by removing the injured one. Get her cleaned up and make sure she's not suffering a prolapse or something...is she eating & drinking?

ETA: Pecking can often be a result of overcrowding - make sure they have enough room to get out & about. Also, provide things to keep them busy & their minds occupied; this will give them something to do other than pecking. Let me know if you need ideas here - and GOOD LUCK with your girl!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  3. dldavis34

dldavis34 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    Montrose, CO
    She seems to be eating and drinking fine. I don't know what to do with her. If I put her back with the others they might keep hurting her. I have had them for 20 weeks now and haven't had any problems till now. They haven't started laying yet. Hopefully soon they will. At first I thought that she laid her first egg and bled or something. But no egg!

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    DON'T return her until she's completely healed, or she'll get pecked at again.

How many birds do have, in how much space? It's typically a crowding issue when this happens.

5. fuzidragonbunnie

fuzidragonbunnie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Pahrump
    Someone suggested to me (we have the same problem-I just reintroduced our injured-now healed hen with three new hens into our henetentiary) and suggested that if you could find the instigator, isolate HER for a few days to rearrange the pecking order to see if it helps. I haven't got our bully hen caught yet, but she isn't harrassing our injured one as badly, now that she's healed. I will be WATCHING WITH MY BEADY EYES to make sure she's safe. Good Luck to you.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by