bigger nest box?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jackhorn01, Feb 27, 2013.

1. jackhorn01

jackhorn01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    I am adding two jersey giants to my flock and have never had them before. Are they big enough to where I need a nesting box designed for the larger breeds or is a standard sized one good enough for them?

2. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    Well we have 10 jersey giant hens, and my dad built the coop--nest boxes are def oversized (they are Big girls)-- these are my 1st chickens and happy to say they started laying in the middle of Dec and are giving us 6-8 eggs daily -- very pleased with them...
    I will go out and measure the nest boxes for you (a little later tonight have to go get child from school)-- even with this larger size, the hens dont have a whole lotta room... but it works....

3. jackhorn01

jackhorn01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    I would appreciate that, thanks

4. CAjerseychick

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    OK I went out measured the nest boxes -- they are 12in wide by 13 in deep by 12 in high (is that normal?) they comfortably fit one large jersey giant hen, although their tail feathers stick up top so even an inch taller/ wider might be better I think... OK thats my 2 cents! Goodnite!!

5. CAjerseychick

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    Oh I just looked it up-- thats the standard size ! No wonder the hens fit but just barely I would go 14 by 14 by 14 in the future... But they squeeze in Ok so far , OK thats my 4Cents, goodnite for sure!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by