1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Biggest Brown Egg Layer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by annieroo, Nov 23, 2010.

1. annieroo

annieroo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2009
    Culpeper
    Is there one particular chicken breed that lays the largest brown egg? Hubby is asking what I want for Christmas and I'm looking into ordering some chicks online to arrive in Spring. I'm considering ordering Jersey Black Giants, New Hampshire Reds, Rhode Island Reds, or Barred Rocks.

Thanks for any feedback.[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I have a small pool to draw from, but I've had barred rocks, buff orps, rirs and black sex-links. The sex-links lay hands down the larger egg. I'm always thinking they're double yolkers, nope, just big eggs!

3. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Out of my brown egg layers my BO lays the biggest.

4. OverEggstended

OverEggstended Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    SW Washington State
    My New Hampshires lay really big,gorgeous brown eggs. Many will not fit in an egg carton... but they are in their first season of laying. All are at least as big as an extra large store egg. We get one a day from each chicken.

They are great free range birds and ever so slightly broody as well...in case you were gonna breed them.

5. jaboo81

jaboo81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2009
    New Braunfels TX
    I have 4 red sex links, some people call them production reds. They lay extra large brown eggs everyday. They are huge compared to my other laying hens eggs. They have very good temperments also. Got mine from Ideal Hatchery.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My Australorp eggs are bigger and a little darker than my BO's. They also lay better and are a bit friendlier.

No one lays double yolkers, though. Darn.

7. sheetmetalpete

sheetmetalpete Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Quote:[​IMG]

My production reds lay dark(er) brown eggs that are consistently larger than the rest.

8. itsmyobsession

itsmyobsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Georgia
    I have 6 Austrolorps, they are super friendly, lay great and their eggs are bigger than any of my other breeds.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  9. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I've heard sex links lay the biggest but I don't have any of those so can't speak from experience. My BO laid HUGE eggs when she first started laying but they've gotten smaller over the last couple of months. My BA lay consistent large eggs. They're very pretty too, a couple of mine lay speckled ones.

10. annieroo

annieroo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2009
    Culpeper
    Thanks so much for the feedback. This has helped me narrow things down considerably. I think I may be going in the sex-link direction as well as New Hampshire Reds. I'm pretty sure my Aunt had given me a red sex-link with some other chickens she had to get rid of and she layed huge eggs, one was 6 3/4 inches around. I should have taken a picture of it but of course i didn't, just used it for breakfast! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by