Biggest chicken breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sricher91, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Sricher91

Sricher91 Chirping

Mar 22, 2018
    I love the big chickens! What’s the biggest breeds? Not meat birds. Looking for backyard pets.

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    KikiLeigh02 likes this.
  3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Crowing

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Define "biggest."

Do you mean tallest? Modern Games, Shamo, or Malay probably fit the bill, er pose, for that.

Heaviest that is not a commercial meat bird would arguably be the Jersey Giant which just nudges out the Brahma. Standard size 10 lbs to 9lbs.

Or if you really want to go "designer" you could look at the Dong Tao. Now THAT is large (and incredibly hard to get and to breed in the US).
    :oops:

upload_2018-8-10_11-19-27.jpeg

ChickNanny13 and KikiLeigh02 like this.
  4. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    By weight it would have to be the Brahma. Brahma cocks can weigh in at 12 pounds.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Crowing

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Also, to OP, size is not the best indicator for backyard pet especially if you have children. Temperament is.

I would recommend a standard Cochin. They are large fluffy, and very gentle tempered. They resemble big, fluffy dust mops. Be sure to get the "standard" size rather than the common "bantam" size which is a small, very cute, very adorable dust mop, and absolutely the sweetest little birds (but don't think sparrow little, think mop duster size).

Favorelle are very gentle larger, fluffy birds.

And of the very large, the Brahma is usually very good tempered as well.

But of the choices, I would look at the Cochin. And if you really want pets, I would look at the bantam Cochin. Though smaller than the "really large" you were thinking of, they are absolutely adorable little mops.

Also large birds eat more than small birds. If you only have 2 or 3, that won't matter, but if you are thinking of a larger flock, that can make a difference.

My thoughts.
    LofMc

6. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Songster

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    [QUOTEC
    I like the bigger breeds for my pets too because I did not want to have to worry about clipping their wings or the 2 hawks that come into my yard. I have 2 Orpingtons Lavender and Buff, 2 Silver Grey Dorkings, GLWyandotte, Barnevelder, Australorp and BCMarans. I think they should all end up to be about 7-8 pounds when fully matured. They also are suppose to be more quiet and docile than some of the other breeds I looked into. I have photos of all of them in my album that you can look at, also I liked those breeds feathers:) Oh and I did not want feathered feet because they step in their poo no matter how spotless I keep their area, if there is poo, they step in it!

ChickNanny13 and KikiLeigh02 like this.
  7. varidgerunner

varidgerunner Songster

Aug 16, 2013
    Any of the big oriental gamefowl. Shamo, Malay, Ga Noi, Thai. The bigger ones top ten pounds and are much taller than the fluffy breeds like the brahma. Very good pets. Live into their teens with decent care. More laid back with humans than any other breeds, more dog-like than chicken-like. Perfectly happy being the only bird in the flock. Males will fight, but no more so than any other breed. The only difference is that they won't quit once they start.

8. Buffbrahmasforever

Buffbrahmasforever Chirping

Jun 29, 2018
    Brahmas! They are very friendly like gentle giants, definitely an amazing breed.

9. Sricher91

Sricher91 Chirping

Mar 22, 2018
    Thanks everyone! I have lots of research to do now! We have 8 Dominique’s right now so won’t be adding anymore until next spring. I’m looking for chubby/fluffy. Not tall!

10. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    ORPINGTONS they come in a variety of colors Love them

SurferchickinSB likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: