1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Biggest Chicken Egg in the United States

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by L T Torres, Apr 5, 2011.

1. L T Torres

L T Torres New Egg

Apr 5, 2011
    Hey everyone, I'm new and this is my first thread/post. I found this place and had a story/questions. I figured you all might know.

Yesterday, I found an egg in our coop. It weighs 6.6 ounces/188 grams. This is the second biggest egg in the WORLD, only 10 grams off the world record held by some unlucky chicken in China. The thing I need to know is: Where/what do I do to get this certified?

I'm very, very sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. Please feel free to move it to the appropriate section. I'll upload pictures as soon as I can...

[​IMG]

EDIT: We have been on the local news a few times, have been contacted by Ripley's Believe it or Not and random people... The full story can be found here;
    http://anewscafe.com/2011/04/05/giant-egg-takes-a-crack-at-world-record/

Also, we're trying to keep people updated with our blogspot;
    http://americasbiggestchickenegg.blogspot.com/

Last but not least, you can find more info on our company and chickens on our facebook;
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Deerlick-Springs-Eggs/139519602784988

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. dela1991

dela1991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    Delaware
    Are you sure that you don't have a dinosaur in your coop?

3. The Funky Chicken Dunce

The Funky Chicken Dunce Out Of The Brooder

Just one question...WHAT KIND OF CHICKENS DO YOU RAISE?? [​IMG] Oh and is she still alive? [​IMG]
    I'd loove to see what would hatch out [​IMG] I think...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  4. L T Torres

L T Torres New Egg

Apr 5, 2011
    Haha. It's an Americauna I believe. I probably spelled that wrong, since firefox red lined it. We're not actually sure WHICH chicken laid the dinosaur egg, but we know it's probably walking funny and looking for a soft place to roost [​IMG]

Ripley's Believe it or Not called and offered to buy it for $500... We turned them down. Were not planning on hatching it... Hell, i'd be scared to hatch it! Something scary might pop out!

So, we've contacted Guinness World Book of Records, and they take 4-6 weeks [​IMG]

5. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    I got some larger then my duck eggs. Two days in a row from my BCM's. Suckers were HuGe ! I would have taken the 500.00 [​IMG]

6. L T Torres

L T Torres New Egg

Apr 5, 2011
    Quote:You know, we considered it for a while, but if people would be willing to pay hundreds of dollars on a piece of toast that is burned to look like Jesus, we can get a little more than $500. Besides, were not really in it for the money, ya know? We're a smaller, family owned business who happened to have a dinosaur wander into our coop and lay an egg. I'll get some more pictures up in a minute...

7. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Dang!! Poor hen

8. L T Torres

L T Torres New Egg

Apr 5, 2011
    Quote:I know [​IMG]

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Dang!

I would have taken the $500 and not asked questions.

ETA: Proper spelling= Ameraucana

But your egg was most likely laid by an Easter Egger.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  10. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    I bet you can spot the hen that layed it. She will be the one sitting on a bag of froze peas.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2011
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by