BigMike's Tiramisu Recipe Revisited

bigmike&nan

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Scenic Jackson New Jersey
Lately I've been using the internet more and more in search of variations on my old standards. Using YouTube I've seen lots of European cooks post great alternatives to what I thought was "it". I wanted to make a tiramisu to have for my birthday and got searching. This is I am sure a more traditional version of the classic, which means "pick me up" and surely it will once you try some. Enjoy

6 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 Tsp salt
1 pint container marscapone cheese, room temp
1 Tsp vanilla extract
1 pint whipping cream
12 oz. espresso coffee
6 oz. Kahlua liquor
3 Tbls Cocoa Powder
16 oz. package of ladyfinger cookies
4 oz. chocolate (shaved thin)

In a double boiler mix 1 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and the egg yolks, cook over simmering water 10 minutes, beating frequently. It will thicken and you'll FEEL the resistance. Remove from heat, continue to beat until a golden yellow. Beat in vanilla extract. Once it has cooled some fold in the marscapone cheese and combine until smooth. In a mixer beat egg whites and 1/4 cup sugar until you have stiff peaks. Fold that into the custard/marscapone mixture. In a clean mixing bowl beat the whipping cream and remaining 1/4 cup sugar until you have stiff peaks. Fold that into the marscapone/custard/egg white mixture. Set aside.
Make your espresso and add the Kahlua and 1 tsp sugar, stir well and allow to cool.
Use a round Pyrex container or RubberMaid storage box for your serving vessel. Dip and turn each ladyfinger briefly in the espresso, lay down a layer and fill any corners with pieces if necessary. Spread 1/3 of the marscapone mixture on top of the ladyfingers. Sprinkle 1 Tbls cocoa powder over that. Repeat layers of soaked ladyfingers, marscapone mixture and cocoa powder. You should get about 3 layers. Take chocolate bar and shave curls with a vegetable peeler over top of tiramisu. Cover and refrigerate at least 4-6 hours, preferably overnight. Prepare to be awed. Serve small portions as this is QUITE rich.

Pick me up indeed.
PB180071.jpg

What better pairing than Tiramisu and some Dirty Harry's Home Roasted Blue Mountain coffee ??

Last edited:
How many ladyfingers do you use? you don't have them listed in your ingredients. I was going to make a chocolate mousse pie for Thanksgiving but I think I might do this instead; it looks yummy!

I have glaucoma. I post and then revise when I can SEE my item in BOLD print a little better. I was revising when you posted... Sorry 'bout that.
Based on the container I was using I believe I was using about 12 ladyfingers per layer. I just checked the package and counted back (based on what was left over), yeah it's about 12 a layer. Really depends on ythe shape/size of your container. The package of ladyfingers I got had 5 sleeves of 12 cookies each.
LOL

Last edited:
Quote:
You gotta look around. I shopped at ShopRite the day I made this - I found packs of fresh ShopRite brand with 24 for $2.49, they were kinda thin. I got two packs, then walking around the store I found their ShopRite LadyFingers (the dry ones made in Italy) that had 60 for $2.49. I got two of those and put the "fresh" ones back. I like eating well but I also like being frugal while I am being extravagant... That make sense ?? LOL

Just wanted you to know Big Mike, this recipe ROCKS! Jim & I made it last night - I never could find the ladyfingers anywhere so I made an angelfood cake & used that instead -- of course we had to "taste test" it --- MAJOR YUM!!! it will be perfect by noon today, has been sitting and soaking in the fridge all night - and looks so pretty in my Mom's trifle bowl, too!

Thanks again & hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving today!

While living in California I had trouble finding what I thought were affordably priced ladyfingers, I would buy a pound cake, or a pound cake mix and bake it off in a round pan, and the resulting baked pound cake just fit into the storage container I built mine in...
The trifle bowl will really make it look great. Good luck staying away from it until it's time to serve it.
If you have leftover cake and filling you can build little "trifles" in plastic tumblers, or small wine glasses. Never waste a good taste.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom