1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Big's Baked Apples

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigmike&nan, Apr 17, 2009.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

These are fantastic and easy as pie to make, prepare ahead of time and pop into oven while eating dinner. Your guests will be swooning about how good your kitchen smells - just about the time you have finished the dinner dishes these will be ready...

Mis en place:

6 braeburn or fuji apples

1/2 cup cherry preserves
    2 biscotti, finely minced
    2 tbls sugar
    1 tbls orange zest
    dash of cinnamon
    dash of nutmeg

1 carton french vanilla ice cream
    1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Wash and core apples, place in a medium cast iron skillet. Combine 2nd group of ingredients in a bowl and mix well, stuff into each apple. Top each apple with a pat of butter and bake in 425 degree oven about 35-45 minutes or until apples are tender. Plate each apple in a wide bowl. There will be a natural caramel in the bottom of the pan, heat pan over medium heat and whisk in 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream. Bring to simmer and then turn off.

Now place a nice mound of french vanilla ice cream next to each apple and pour caramel sauce over it all... Garnish with whipped cream and serve.
    [​IMG]

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Looks yummy!
    Would a different pan work? I don't own a cast iron skillet [​IMG]

3. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I'm thinking I need to schedule a vacation to Big's house!! [​IMG]

4. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Not really - you should invest in some old cast iron pans, best place to find them is garage and estate sales, older folks know the benefit of good cast iron. DO NOT buy Chinese made cast iron pans, very nasty iron...

The recipe is two step, the cast iron really radiates the heat into the apples and then you take them out and slurry the cream into the caramel on the stove top.

5. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm drooling again! I've made baked apples many times, but have never tried them with cherry preserves. This sounds wonderful. Just curious - what do the biscotti do inside the apples? I'm trying to imagine . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by