Big's Baked Beans/ Baked Beans & Cornbread Casserole

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigmike&nan, Apr 30, 2009.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Last Summer Nan's best girlfriend came with her young son Nick - I'm made Pizza (of course) and also wanted to throw down burgers and baked beans with corn on the cob... I hadn't made baked beans from scratch ever but after looking at a bunch of scratch recipes I did this:

Mis en place

1 1lb bag navy beans
    1 tsp baking soda

1 medium onion finely chopped
    1/4 lb bacon
    1 large hamhock (or leftover ham bone)
    1/2 cup dark brown sugar
    1/2 cup dark molasses
    1/4 cup real maple syrup
    1/2 cup ketchup
    3 Tbls Spicy Ballpark Mustard (THANK YOU MIAMI STEVE !!)
    2 14 oz. cans chicken stock (or water)

Preparation:

Soak beans in a large pot of water overnight. Drain and rinse well. Add beans to pot and cover with water, add the baking soda. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer and cook 45 minutes. Remove from heat, and drain. Using heavy dutch oven brown onion and cut up bacon. When onions are clear add hambone (or hamhock), brown sugar, molasses, maple syrup, ketchup, mustard and simmer until combined. Add chicken stock and beans and bring to a boil. Cover pot and place in 300 degree oven and bake covered for 2 1/2 hours stirring occasionally. Remove lid and bake another 90 minutes. Remove and serve in wide bowls. OR use as side dish. OR Make the following:

Big Mike's Baked Bean and Cornbread Casserole

When I was a kid my mom was one of the first to try the frozen foods coming out. She was working in a dimestore near the house and needed every free moment to handle us, do the wash and generally make live cozy. Prepared foods and frozen meals were a real lifesaver. Long befroe frozen TV Dinners came along there were these box dinners - white cardboard on the outside, a foil like substance on the inside. Just remove from freezer and pop into the oven. MY FAVORITE was baked beans with hot dog chunks and cornbread on top. darn IT WAS GOOOOOOOD !! Some 40 years later I had a big flashback and replicated it.

Mis en place

1 batch baked beans (or 2 LARGE cans baked beans)
    1 Tbls Spicy Mustard
    1/2 onion sliced
    1/4 cup dark brown sugar
    4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
    6 hot dogs cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks

1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
    1 cup milk
    1 egg

Saute onion and bacon, then add beans, hot dogs, mustard, and brown sugar and stir well. Bake in 350 degree oven 60 minutes. Make corn muffin mix per box instructions BUT we add 1 cup milk so it is runny. Remove beans from oven, pour on cornbread mix and turn oven up to 400 degrees. Bake about 35 minutes until cornbread is golden. Remove and serve in wide bowls... Stand Back !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by