Big's Biscotti La Morta

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigmike&nan, Apr 30, 2009.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

I guess I've been holding out on you folks. I just realized I had not posted this recipe, this is probably one of my best baked things ever... Do try.

(To any of you so called language experts sorry... My old Italian buddy Nazzarino Furiosi used to call my biscotti Cuchina la Morta, his slang for you made it so good you couldn't make it any better, YOU KILLED IT...)

For years people have asked me for my biscotti recipe. This is one I give up with some hesitation because I put a lot of work into perfecting the recipe and it seems a shame to GIVE AWAY something I worked so hard on.

Making biscotti and many baked items requires understanding some basic baking techniques necessary for good results. In biscotti making it is understanding the necessity of CREAMING, combining sugar and butter in the mixer using friction for an extended period of time so it takes on a homogonous consistency and the sugar granules break down.

Mis en place

2 1/4 cups white sugar
    1/2 lb. butter

3 eggs
    1 Tbls Vanilla Extract
    1 Tsp. Salt

2 cups all purpose flour
    2 cups bread flour
    1 Tbls. Baking Powder
    1 Tbls. Baking Soda
    2 cups candied fruit
    4 cups almonds (or 2 cups almonds, 2 cups macadamia nuts)

Place butter and sugar in mixing bowl and beat at medium speed for one minute. Stop and scrape down sides of bowl and mix again for one minute so butter and sugar have become homogonous mass. While mixer is still going add one egg, wait 30 seconds and add 2nd egg, wait 30 seconds and add 3rd egg. Beat 1 minute. Stop mixer, scrape down sides of bowl and add salt and vanilla extract. Beat at medium 30 seconds. Stop mixer and add 2 cups all purpose flour and baking powder and baking soda. Mix one minute, stop mixer and add bread flour, mix again for one minute. Stop mixer and add candied fruit, mix 30 seconds. Stop mixer and add nuts and mix another 30 seconds.

Break dough into four equal sized piles, shape each pile into a round log running the length of your sheet pan, two logs to a pan.

[​IMG]

Bake first pan in preheated 350 degree oven 15 minutes, rotate pan and bake an additional 15 minutes. Remove to cool locate for 1/2 hour. Bake 2nd sheet pan of logs.

[​IMG]

Once biscotti are totally cooled remove from sheet pan by sliding a spatula under log and gently running it under the length of the log. Using a THIN slicing knife cut 3/4 inch thick slices and gently move them to sheet pan, one log per pan. Place slices on their sides and bake in 350 oven for 7 minutes.

[​IMG]

Remove pan and carefully turn over slices using the FLAT SIDE of the biscotti to turn them on. Dough has high sugar content and at this stage is delicate and HOT... Careful !! Once tunred bake in 350 oven for 5 minutes, remove to cool location and let cool completely. Repeat 2nd baking stage for other logs. Store fully cooled biscotti in ziplock bags - they keep roughly two weeks.

Now sit down with a good glass of red wine or some espresso and enjoy !!!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

I have not made these in YEARS literally, but I wanted to top this recipe of mine, I especially like using almonds, macadamia nuts and hazelnuts combined in these for the flavors each add to the cookies.
    Do try this...

3. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    These look fabulous, thank you for sharing! Added to my long list of to-do's asap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by