Big's Caramel Sauce

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigmike&nan, May 13, 2009.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

My wife was really surprised one weekend when I busted out an apple crumble AND fresh caramel sauce, all packaged in jars with a photo of my buddy Jackie the Cat and myself on the label.

BE SURE to use a heavy pan and BE CAREFUL, that sugar gets real darned hot... Gotta watch it like teenagers: never let your eyes off it. Don't start it and walk away. Have all your MIS EN PLACE organized and concentrate on what you are doing. You will be amply rewarded.

1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/3 cup water
    1 1/4 cups heavy cream
    1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Mix the water and sugar in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until the sugar dissolves. Do not stir. Increase the heat to medium and boil uncovered until the sugar turns a warm chestnut brown (about 350 degrees F on a candy thermometer), about 5 to 7 minutes, gently swirling the pan to stir the mixture. Be careful – the mixture is extremely hot! Watch the mixture very carefully at the end, as it will go from caramel to burnt very quickly. Turn off the heat. Stand back to avoid splattering and slowly add the cream and vanilla. Don't worry - the cream will bubble violently and the caramel will solidify.
    Simmer over low heat, stirring constantly, until the caramel dissolves and the sauce is smooth, about 2 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature, at least 4 hours. It will thicken as it sits.

clever utilization of a cd labeling program and an old pasta sauce jar make this a DELICIOUS GIFT
    [​IMG]

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Oooo... yum! [​IMG]

Can't wait to try this one! Thanks for sharing! [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You stole my recipe!! I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but caramel is one thing I can't say no to. You are sooooo right that you have to watch it carefully because it goes from being "just right" to burnt in a split second.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by