Big's Fritatta

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigmike&nan, Sep 19, 2010.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

I dedicate this recipe to my dear niece Stephanie - enjoy it Honey !!!!
    Uncle Mike

(potato, red bell pepper, mushroom, zuchinni and scallion fritatta, served with bacon, Eli's Raisin Bread toast and ketchup)
    [​IMG]

What started out as necessity became a tasty regular dish around here. Preheat your oven to 400 and use a cast iron skillet, make more than you think you'll eat because it deserves 2nds.
    We give the leftovers to our chickens who go crazy for it. You can omit the Italian sausage but instead cook up 5-6 slices of bacon and saute your vegetables in the bacon grease.

Mis en place:

3 Tbls EVO
    3 italian sausage links sliced thin
    1 lb red potatoes, halved then cut into 1/2 inch slices
    1 bell pepper, cut into small chunks
    2/3 cup white wine

7 eggs beaten with 1/4 cup milk
    2 scallions, fine dice
    Salt and Pepper and a dash of red pepper flakes

Heat skillet until it's blazing hot, add EVO and wait until it almost smokes. Add sausage bits and saute about 4 minutes, now add potato slices, season this whole mess with S & P. COVER pan with tight fitting lid, saute 4 minutes, then remove lid and stir, recover and saute another 4 minutes. Meanwhile beat eggs with a whisk about 2 minutes until nice and frothy... Remove lid, add bell peppers and give the pan a good stir. Recover and let saute about 2 minutes. Now remove lid and add white wine and cover and cook about 3 minutes until the white wine is absorbed - this steams the vegtables finish cooked and imparts and amazing flavor into them. Add the white part of scallions, saute 1 minute, whisk eggs one more time and then add remaining scallions to eggs and then add that into the pan. Slide into oven and bake covered about 5-8 minutes until eggs are set and no area in the center is runny. Remove from oven and let finish cook via it's own heat, toast a loaf of rustic bread and serve wedges of the fritatta with chunks of bread. Make sure you have ketchup and some good hot sauce on the table for those that are inclined to like it with their eggs.

The one in this photo has sauteed potatoes, zuchinni, red bell pepper, mushrooms and scallions. Amazing is how the house smells.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dan the chicken coop man checking out Big's cooking...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Oh yeah..... [​IMG]

3. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Was it breakfast for dinner?

It looks like quiche....sounds great.

4. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Yeah, that does look yummy!

Quote:I think of fritattas as a crustless quiche. A lot less calories without a pie crust....and really, we don't even miss the crust. They're always yummy!

5. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG]

6. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Ooooo that looks so good! [​IMG] Bet it smells good too.

7. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:I think of fritattas as a crustless quiche. A lot less calories without a pie crust....and really, we don't even miss the crust. They're always yummy!

My son seen one in one of my cook books today and said mom isn't that what you made before I looked and said oh quiche and then looked at the recipe and seen it said it is a fritatta I even knew what I was talking about...thanks mike.

8. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Bumping this oldie to the top of the heap. Now that you'll be having company over the Holidays this is a really very good breakfast - it's got everything cooked in one huge pan. Soooo good !!

9. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Oh I love a fritatta! They are so easy and cook up fast. I am also now reminded that I did not have breakfast yet....

10. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    WOW that looks good!!! But hey your supposed to serve it with some nice peppery tomato salsa and a dollop of sour cream to help put the fire out......not ketchup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by