Big's Pasties (meat hand pies)

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigmike&nan, Apr 14, 2009.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm always a sucker for anything wrapped in a good pastry - I believe there is a British and/or Australian origin to the dish. You make expeditious use of whatever leftover meat and potatoes you have - or a vegetable or meat stew (I used beef and vegetable curry in ours with some leftover rice mixed in to hold the saucy filling together a little). This makes 16 meat pies. Enjoy.

Pastry

Mis en place:

8 cups all purpose flour
    2 Tsp salt
    2 Tbls white sugar
    2 sticks cold butter
    1 1/2 cups Crisco or LARD (chilled)
    1 16 oz. glass ice water

egg wash (1 beaten egg with about 2 oz. water and a pinch of salt)

Preparation:

Mix flour, sugar and salt together in mixer, cut butter and Crisco into small bits and with mixer on low speed add butter and Crisco a bit at a time. Continue to mix on slow until the dough looks like peas, now add small bits of the ICE WATER until the dough just starts to come together. STOP mixer, remove dough and lup in into a large pile with your hands and place dough in a big zip lock bag and refrigerate, preferably overnight.

Make up your filling: if it is leftover meat and potatoes cut them in small cubes, add some fresh chopped flat leaf parsley and a bit of cream or a little white wine to bind it all together. Flour your work surface well. Remove dough from fridge and take a large golf ball sized bit in your hand - using the warmth of your skin shape the dough into a patty. Then place on floured surface and roll out into a small circle. Fiip dough over and roll again until you have about a 6 inch circle. You want the dough THIN.

Place about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of your filling in the center of the circle, brush the lower half of the dough circle with egg wash (fingers work ok), fold dough over filling and crimp edges with fingers or a fork. Place on parchment paper lined pan. Repeat until all dough (and hopefully the filling) is used up. Poke 3 sets of holes in top of each pie with a fork, brush pies with remaining egg wash, sprinkle a tiny bit of scoarse sea alt, sesame seeds or even oats on each pie. Bake in preheated 425 degree oven about 30-35 minutes until pies are golden brown. Remove and let cool. Keep refrigerated once completely cooled. These are great to take on a picnic, fishing trip or just a road trip someplace...

[​IMG]

2. mschickychick

mschickychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Mississippi
    Looks yummy. I will give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Those are beautiful, and look delicious! Thanks for the recipe! [​IMG]

4. blueberrylu

blueberrylu Chillin' With My Peeps

I LOVE PASTIES!!!!!! I am from Michigan and they are almost an official food of the Upper Peninsula. I think the pasties are from the Welsh miners, but who cares because they are so tasty. I usually cheat and make mine into pies------top crust only. I use the traditional filling of potato, carrot, onion, rutabaga and ground beef. If you make a pasty, you do not brown the beef ahead of time-----you mix it in raw with the other ingredients then put in pie or make individual pasties. I like my pastie with beef gravy, but others like just butter or even ketchup. My youngest really enjoys it and calls it Pastor Pie [​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    After further thought, this looks like a great way to use the leftover Easter ham! Ham, potatoes, carrots, onions, etc.

6. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:While in Garde Manger classes in chef school (essentially cold food production and classic high end buffet presentation) the larder we had to work from was mind blowing in complexity. The range of hand pies we made (and sold in the school's retail food shop) were to die for. Don't be afraid to take some old roast beef or a stew or even a mexican entree like chile colorado or chile verde and use it for the filling !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by