Big's Sticky Buns

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigmike&nan, Apr 30, 2009.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

For all you hungry folks to drool over... LOL

Before I moved from California I saw an episode of Bobby Flay Throws Down where he met up with the woman who purportedly makes the BEST sticky buns around (wanna call them Pecan Rolls go ahead). So the premise of these shows is he throws down and you see the two chefs compete, each doing their own recipe and at the end "judged" by the crowd. I thought Annie Chang's looked better, but the process is "harder" more time consuming.

At night when I can't sleep I think of things I want to cook and this was a recurring "to do" thing. SO I did Bobby's Version, more or less. Enjoy... By the way these are so decadent, a good cup of espresso would be a wonderful pairing.

Mis en Place:

Softened butter, for bowls and baking pan
    For the glaze:
    1 cup light brown sugar
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
    1 orange, finely grated zest
    2 cups pecan or walnut pieces

For the dough:
    1 package yeast
    1 cup warm milk (about 110 degrees F)
    1/4 cup plus a pinch granulated sugar, divided
    1/4 cup unsalted butter
    1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    1 large egg yolk
    2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    3/4 teaspoon salt

For the filling:
    8 tablespoons softened butter
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Butter a 9 by 13-inch baking pan.

Preparation:

Make your dough first. Place warm milk in your mixing bowl, add yeast and pinch of sugar. Stir and let stand until it foams, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile melt 4 tbls butter and add that to yeast/water, add egg and vanilla extract and whisk together.

Now add flour, salt and 1/4 cup sugar and knead dough for about 6 minutes. You will have a soft and pliant dough. Shape into a ball, baste a small amount of melted butter on top, cover with plastic wrap and let rise about 1 hour or until roughly doubled.

Remove plastic wrap, knead dough about 4 minutes. Recover with plastic wrap and refrigerate dough for about 4 hours. Go smoke a couple cigars.

Make the glaze by combining the "glaze group" ingredients in a saucepan and cooking on medium heat 4 to 5 minutes until it thickens a little. Pour into a 13 x 9 inch pan and sprinkle your nuts on, I used pecan and walnut pieces, a lot (about 2 cups worth)...

Remove dough from fridge, roll out into a 18 x 10 rectangle, spread one stick of softened butter over all of the dough with your hands, then dust with a mixture of 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tbls cinnamon. Roll up dough into a jellyroll shape. Cut 12 equal slices and distribute them evenly inside 13 x 9 pan, there will be spaces. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 2-3 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake about 35 minutes or until GOLDEN on top. Remove from oven and let rest about 5 minutes, no more !! Then flip 13 x 9 pan contents onto a sheet pan. Tap bottom of pan firmly everywhere so warm caramel and nuts plop down onto rolls... Let cool about 15 minutes. Resist the urge to sample any of the nuts or caramel right out of the oven as that hot caramel can really burn...

Make espresso and pull one of the rolls off and enjoy. Awfully good...

[​IMG]

Sticky Bun and Espresso

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Ok now I'm hungrey. That looks really good. [​IMG]

3. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Oh Man, I know what I am going to HAVE to make! [​IMG]

Lisa [​IMG]

4. bigmike&nan

Gonna rain here, then be warm - perfect weather to crank out some sticky buns !!

5. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    Roll looks delicious, like your dishes even better!

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Big Mike, you're a cruel man to make us look at that picture when all we have had for breakfast was a leftover cold soggy blueberry pancake made with Bisquick mix.

7. bigmike&nan

TEXAS Sized Baby !!

[​IMG]

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You post the best recipes!

9. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Got some dough rising right now! [​IMG]

10. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Looks wonderful...great idea, I'm going to go mix up my dough right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by