Big's Yankee Pot Roast

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigmike&nan, May 1, 2009.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Easy to make and sooo great - pair it with the scalloped potatoes recipe, cook both at the same temp in the same oven (make the scalloped potatoes first).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=172949

Mis en place:

3 Tbls. EVO
    1 3-4 lb. Chuck Tip Blade Roast, boneless

1 medium yellow onion, medium dice
    2 carrots, medium dice
    3 stalks celery, medium dice
    8 oz white mushrooms medium dice

1 Tbls. coarsley chopped garlic

2 cups good quality red wine
    1 14 oz. can stewed tomatoes
    1 14 oz. can beef stock.
    2 Bay leaves
    3 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped fine
    4 sprigs fresh thyme

2 Tbls soft butter
    4 Tbls all purpose flour

4-6 oz. good port wine

Preparation:

Remove silverskin and any excess fat from exterior of roast. Now season very aggressively on ALL sides with garlic salt, fresh cracked black pepper and Herbs de Provence... In ovenproof dutch oven heat EVO until it almost smokes, now brown meat on ALL SIDES nicely. This might take up to 8-10 minutes. Remove from pan to plate. Now add 2nd group of ingredients (the mirepoix and mushrooms) and saute and deglaze pan with the moisture from the vegetables, scraping up any loose bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooded spatula. Cook vegetables about 7-10 minutes, adding chopped garlic about 4 minutes into sautee time. Now add red wine and simmer about 3 minutes to remove some of the alcohol. Now add meat back to pan pushing the vegetables to the sides. Add beef stock and stewed tomatoes, bay leaves, parsley and thyme. Cover pan and place in 400 degree oven with already cooking scalloped potatoes. Cook at 400 for one hour.

Meanwhile take butter and flour and mix well with large fork in a cup, creaming flour and butter together. This mixture is called a Beurre Manne. Remove roast pan from oven uncover and mix in Beurre Manne and stir well. Butter will melt in hot juices to facilitate quick distribution of the flour. Recover, place back in oven and reduce heat to 325. Cook about another 45 minutes. Remove pan from oven and let stand covered about 15 minutes. Then remove meat to a platter and cover with foil. Add port to pan and place pan on medium heat and simmer stirring to break up any bits and cook until it thickens nicely, stirring to avoid any burning on bottom of pan, the time to thickent his varies depending on how hot your burner is - figure roughly 8-12 minutes. Now slice roast thinly on the bias. Serve with scalloped potatoes and ladle "gravy" over meat. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Now I can feed my "boys" with that pot roast at an reenactment! Thanks for sharing!

3. chickens4me

chickens4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Can I come for dinner?? [​IMG] That looks wonderful!

4. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Heck, I thought you were making Naughty Child Pie... LOL

[​IMG]

Michael

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    The naughty child pie is no more LOL!

This dish would be perfect for the Civil War reenactments...those are my "boys". Unfortunately my hubby is not one of those boys, he does not eat meat, veggies or fruits of any kind. He is mainly a peanut butter, bread, potato chip, mashed potatoes and hot roll kind of guy! And he likes cheese, plain ones.

They love to come and eat my breakfast over the campfire and a few of them would make comments that they would like their wives to fix their breakfast like I do. Well, for your enjoyable breakfast, time to load up more firewood and fill up water buckets and coffee cans, boys! Load up! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by