Bigvern

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bigvern, Jan 16, 2017.

1. bigvern

bigvern New Egg

May 20, 2016
    Ila ga
    What can I do about my rooster always attaching me when I go to the chicken coop to get eggs

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    There are different schools of thought when it comes to a rooster showing aggression - some that address rehabilitation and others that address removal. There are a few things that may factor into which approach would be appropriate for your situation. What breed is your bird? How long has the aggression been going on? What have you done in response thus far? Do you enter the coop at other times without getting a response or is egg gathering the only time you go into the coop so that is why you associate that as the stimulus that results in the attack?

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, bigvern, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard but sorry about your cantankerous rooster! A lot of folks would advise you to eat him, re-home him, or re-educate him. The first two are self-explanatory. The last one can take many forms. He clearly thinks he is top dog. He may be of the flock but you are of the farm. One thing I've done is grab the rooster and subdue him, then pick him up and carry him around under one arm. He will protest but it shows him he can't always have his way - that it's my will, not his. Sometimes it takes a few trials before he gets it. You could also carry a broom and give him a gentle swat on the rear. Good luck with whatever you decide. Here's a link that discusses mean roosters: https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Mean+rooster
    And if you want to chat with your poultry owning neighbors, find the GA thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've received some good advice already so I'll just say hello and it's nice to have you here! Good luck with the rooster.

5. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Good luck with your rooster.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by