Billy Goat eating bark & sap ??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mrszlopez, Jun 13, 2011.

1. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    Is it safe ? He is eating the bark and his face was covered in sap.. Dont know what kind of tree it is though.

2. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    Mine eat maple and oak bark I wouldn't worry to much but try to figure out what kind of tree it is

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  3. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    My goats loved to eat pine bark and get their faces covered in sap. I don't think it will hurt them, but they will eventually kill the tree.

4. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    I was told by a old goat show guy that that is a sign they aren't getting all their minerals. Not saying that is what it is... but something to look into. It is normal for them to eat things to get what their body needs and bark won't kill them. Mine used to love cedar bark. I gave mine to this same guy, though... they were better off with him. He had more goat knowledge and better goat land.

5. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Goats are browsers and love to eat tree bark. Some trees are preferred over others. It won't hurt the goat....it will kill the tree. In some areas, sheep and goats are used for cedar eradication. Eating bark does not mean they are lacking in minerals, they just like bark.

6. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Mine absolutely LOVE pine bark - they as far as i know get all the minerals they need as they love their mineral blocks too - i think they are just drawn to the bark!

7. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    If you don't want them eating the bark (thus killing the tree) you can wrap chicken netting around the base and up the tree several times. They won't be able to chew through the chicken wire to get to the trunk of the tree.

FWIW, my goats get all the minerals they need (plus boluses and BoSe shots) and they still eat bark...it's just something they do.

8. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    thank you all ! i hadnt ever seen any of my goats do it before so i just wanted to make sure it was safe.
    I dont mind at all if they kill the tree [​IMG] lol

9. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    We cleaned up alot of trees last year after a storm went through our home town, I am still feeding the branches to the goats, they love the bark, willow is their favorite. After the bark has been stripped and the smaller branches eaten I take the longer bigger pieces out of their pen, stack it, let it dry and my companion will either use it for carving or we will use it in the fire place.

They just love the bark and small branches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by