BIN!! Rare, Critically Endangered Icelandic Eggs (18 eggs total)

The Sheriff

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Northern CA
I am offering a dozen plus extras (18 total) of my rare, and critically endangered Icelandic chicken hatching eggs. I should have 24 to send on Monday! Please do not bid on this auction if you are not interested in the preservation of the breed as it is, without standardization and crossbreeding. There is a dedicated group of people working to promote and preserve this landrace fowl which was first introduced to Iceland in 900 by the Vikings. My stock comes from the legal importation of hatching eggs from Iceland to the US in the last 13 years. Now is the time to hatch your cold hearty birds and be ready for winter!

In my signature line you will find a link to the most recent article regarding Icelandic chickens for Aviculture Europe. You can also find a wealth on information and pictures on the breed thread at BYC here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=299038&p=1 . In the first post I report how I became interested in the breed and how I obtained my stock.

Icelandic chickens are standard sized, not bantams, although they are on the smaller side. They have white earlobes and lay bright white to pale cream colored eggs. I see the cream color mostly in pullet eggs and they are bright white by the time they are full sized eggs. The eggs range from medium to large and I have one hen who lays a jumbo egg. There is no standard color or comb type for Icelandic chickens. Some may even have slate legs and some may have light feathering on the legs. Some are crested, some are not. The most wonderful part of owning these birds is in the diversity. These birds are winter hardy, good layers, go broody, and make great free rangers. They are not flighty but don't care to be cuddled either. They always come up to the house when I go outside and follow me down to the barn for a treat. I have hatched hundreds of chicks and they too are very hardy with few instances of pasty butt or leg problems. My flock does not consume huge amounts of feed, preferring to forage on the acreage they occupy. They like to roost as high up in the coop as they can get, often in the rafters. I have 35 free ranging Icelandics on my property and people always remark about how many different breeds of chickens I have! I am not sure they believe me when I tell them they are all the same breed!

34566_auction632011-12.jpg

My alpha rooster Isi (Icy) from my foundation stock.

34566_auction632011-7.jpg

Silver hen with lovely crest.

34566_auction632011-6.jpg

One of my hens with a laced crest.

34566_auction632011-9.jpg

Free ranging.

34566_auction632011-13.jpg

My youngest juveniles on the roost.

34566_auction632011-5.jpg

Picnicking.

34566_auction632011-10.jpg

Rock dwellers.

34566_auction632011-8.jpg

Lovely young pullets.

34566_jakeshatch-13.jpg

Lukka, one of my original hens with a baby chick. I have lots of blues in my flock.

34566_4182011-1-2.jpg

They make very enthusiast mothers.

34566_goodmama2.jpg

Isi and his girls.

34566_bob-1.jpg

Hatching Icelandics is like opening a box of chocolates! You never know what you are going to get!

34566_chickei-4.jpg

This is my most recent hatch from last week with a silver and a chocolate brown chick!

34566_auction632011-14.jpg

All eggs will be shipped Priority Mail with confirmation number. All eggs will be fresh. I am getting 12 to 18 eggs per day and fertility has been great (96%). I cannot guarantee the success of your hatch as I have no control over what happens to the eggs once shipped. They will be very carefully packaged. I have shipped hundreds of eggs without a single broken one. These eggs will ship on Friday. I reserve the right to cancel the auction should the eggs sell locally before the closing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom