Binding a Turkey Wing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fergyc2l2t316, Dec 5, 2016.

1. fergyc2l2t316

fergyc2l2t316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Las Vegas, NV
    Can someone help me with this, please? I have tried everything and I am about to pull my hair out. I have a turkey who came down with mycoplasma pneumonia and it attacked his synovial joint fluid so he can't walk right now. We are doing physical therapy and he is finally coming along. But in the meantime for him to move around, he does it by flapping his wings. Well he broke several blood feathers on one wing and a bone. Before I could tend to it, he took a turn for the worse. So I was making sure that he made it through this rough patch between two different antibiotics, pedialyte, and feeding him with a spoon a mash made with pedialyte. I wasn't sure he was going to make it, but he's a fighter. Now I have been working on his wing. A bone fell out and 5 of the blood feathers died, so I had to amputate that area. I cleaned it with Dawn dish soap to get the dirt and oils off, soaked in Epson salts, and lastly betadyne and water. I then used a sterile pad after it dried and wrapped it with Vet Wrap. I tried wrapping the wing against his body with gauze roll by wrapping it around his body but made sure it didn't impede his breathing. Well he started flapping again and it didn't hold. So tonight I did his soak again and wrapped it again but decided to leave it as it was with sterile pads a vet wrap thinking it might stay on that way. But no dice. Then a took a towel and tried that to cushion it. Its painful for him but I can't get him to stop. So does anyone have any ideas? He has a very strong flap, believe me. It feels like I getting whipped when he does it when I'm in there, but at least I can stop him. If you can give me some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks bunches

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Google "how to splint broken bones in birds," and look for the third link down--starlingtalk.com. It gives instructions on using vet wrap to wrap a wing in a figure 8. Otherwise, I would check with a farm vet.

3. fergyc2l2t316

fergyc2l2t316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks, I will look at it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by