biology question... I think (genetics)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Theapplechicks, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Ok so I had a nice little set of 4 little hens and one roo. I hatched some eggs this May and we can rule out the full size cochin because none of her eggs hatched so that leaves my bantam cochin, my porcelain d'uccle, and my little black game hen. Our Roo was a game too. So we have been trying to figure out which babies are who's biologically and it's tough. All 3 banty's eggs were about the same in looks. So I have one that I know is my banty cochins because she is super soft and fluffy and has the feathered feet. Next I think is full game, she's identical to her mother. Now this is where we start to get confused. There is one that has no feathers on it's feet and small like the game but is speckled on her body w/ black wings. The only speckled one I have is my cochin. It's not fluffy and soft like the other one. I'm thinking 2 solid black game couldn't produce a funky looking little thing. I'm not really sure what I'm asking here! LOL! So could my cochin and game mix and the result be one that looks physically like a game but speckled? None of them have the crazy funky feathering of my d'uccle and they are all black except the speckled one and one other has just a couple white feathers on the edge of it's wings. I will probably never figure it out but thought some here might have some insight???

2. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    I'm not a genetics pro here, but I was told on the cochin thread that foot feathering is a dominant gene, so non feathered feet might exclude the cochin and the d'uccle?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  3. Theapplechicks

Apr 13, 2011
    thanks. That's what I was thinking but I'm just puzzled where the speckles come from because the only non-feather footed hen is the little game hen and that would make the chick pure breed and both parents are solid black... even her feet are kinda spotted but her/his wings are solid black. It's really weird. Guess it's possible... maybe the hen or roo I have has it somewhere in their bloodlines??? who knows! lol! Will have to post a picture. I think she/he will be pretty. (not sure on the gender yet)

4. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Mottling is a recessive gene that could be hidden in both parents.
    But more likely the mottling can be a temporary youth feathering effect of a solid black chicken.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  5. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    it's from the porcelain d'uccle... mottling is part of the porcelains make up... and mixed with a black game roo, it's going to be a black mottled split for columbian and self blue... you don't always get feathered feet... sometimes you'll get feathered shanks if not nothing at all...

6. Theapplechicks

Apr 13, 2011
    Thanks. Here is a picture of her/him... Not real great but since they were raised by their mama they aren't as "cuddly" as my others. They are about 6wk old.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    That's an awful lot of mottling for het. mottling (showing on immature feathers, but not on mature feathers). I'm guessing that each parent supplied a copy.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Do you have pictures of the parents?
    Your young bird looks to have a rose comb and neither Cochin, d'Uccle or Game have rose combs.

Chris

9. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Quote:Oohh!! You have have an American Fence Jumper X !!! I have one of those in dog species!!! How exciting the mystery continues.....

10. Theapplechicks

Apr 13, 2011
    Quote:this is the daddy
    [​IMG]
    and here's my little black hen that hatched them and the black and yellow chick is this one and is what the black hen looked like as a chick
    [​IMG]
    here's my cochin Pecker
    [​IMG]
    my avatar is my d'uccle
    here is a pic of the feet of the baby the dark spots are not dirt, they are spots...
    [​IMG]

Those are the only ones that could be the mama. My only other hen at the time is a full size blue cochin and she lays large brown eggs and none of those hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by